Will the Ender's Game Movie Live Up to the Book?

In summary, the book is being turned into a movie with some good visuals but questionable cast choices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE Loved the book, but the trailer looks terrible. From what I can tell it will suffer a similar fate as the Hunger Games in the sense that the magic of the book was the interesting internal dialogue and complex moral issues (also in Dune). Internal dialogue and moral issues are rarely done well in movies. I'm bummed about this trailer so far.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm some of the visuals look very good, the zero-G arena for example, but overall I agree. It seems like the book (which I had mixed views on: very entertaining but a bit disturbing when you think about certain themes) will be turned from a complicated story to a glitzy action film. A big part of the story is the constant struggle Ender has in coming up with better tactics and outwitting his enemy. I'm not convinced a film can pull that struggle off so well rather than just showing fight scene after fight scene.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I had no idea a screenplay was even out for optioning. Didn't think Orson Scott Card would ever find a producer that shared his vision for Ender's Game. I hope they have enough good child actors to fill in Ender's battle school entourage.

I'm both excited and a bit sad to see this movie come out. Excited because I'm curious to see how the movie stacks up to the world I imagined when I read the book and sad because I know I won't get to know Ender as well as I did with the book.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I just can't accept Harrison Ford as Graff or Ben Kingsley as Mazer. I would have loved to see some relatively unknown actors fill those roles.

What is "Ender's Game" about?

"Ender's Game" is a science fiction novel written by Orson Scott Card. It is set in a future where humanity has been at war with an alien species known as the Formics. The story follows a young boy named Ender Wiggin who is chosen to attend a battle school in space and train to become a commander in the war against the Formics.

When was the "Ender's Game" trailer released?

The "Ender's Game" trailer was released on May 7, 2013, by Summit Entertainment.

Who directed the "Ender's Game" movie?

The "Ender's Game" movie was directed by Gavin Hood, a South African filmmaker known for his work on "Tsotsi" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine".

Who stars in the "Ender's Game" movie?

The main cast of "Ender's Game" includes Asa Butterfield as Ender Wiggin, Harrison Ford as Colonel Hyrum Graff, Ben Kingsley as Mazer Rackham, and Hailee Steinfeld as Petra Arkanian.

Is "Ender's Game" based on a true story?

No, "Ender's Game" is a work of fiction. However, it is considered to be one of the greatest science fiction novels of all time and has won numerous awards since its publication in 1985.