Will the cart reach the end of the ramp?

• Thread starter aeromat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart Ramp
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a student flings a 23g ball of putty at a 225g cart sitting on a slanted air track. The track is 1.5m long and slanted at an angle of 25° with the horizontal. The goal is to determine if the cart will reach the end of the track before it stops and slides back down. The conversation mentions using conservation of momentum, energy, and work to solve the problem. The conversation also includes a step-by-step solution using the given equations and variables, leading to the conclusion that the cart will not reach the top of the inclined surface.
aeromat

Homework Statement

A student flings a 23g ball of putty at a 225g cart sitting on a slanted air track that is 1.5m long .The track is slanted at an angle of 25° with the horizontal. If the putty is traveling at 4.2m/s when it hits the cart, will the cart reach the end of the track before it stops and slides back down?

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum, Energy
Work

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the diagram so that the slant is the hypothenuse being 1.5m long at 25° to the horizontal, and found the opposite length (height) being 1.5sin25° = 0.634m

I then solved for how much potential energy the cart will have if it reaches the end of the ramp.
Ep = (0.0225)(9.81)(0.634)
= 1.586J

I am now confused as to how to get the velocities, because writing out the conservation of momentum equations leads to me running into two unknown variables; the speed of the putty after, and the speed of the cart after.

Would anyone mind helping me out further with this problem..

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the putty sticks to the cart. That should help.

Ok, wait WHAT is a putty..É -- sorry I canèt write question marks for some reason,,

Similar in consistency to bread dough, for instance.

Alright, so would it work out if I countinued on like this:
Let "c" subscript rep the cart
Let "p" subscript rep the putty

MPVP + 0 = (MP+MC)(V'PC)
MPVP
------ = (V'PC)
(MP+MC)

From this I get 0.3987m/s. Then I put this into the conservation of Energy scenario where:

Ek = Eg'
So LS must equal, or be close to RS if the cart were to reach the top
LS:
(1/2)(0.023kg + 0.225kg)(0.3987m/s)^2
= 0.0494J

RS:
(0.023kg + 0.225kg)(9.81m/s^2)(1.5sin25°)
= 1.542J
Therefore, the cart did NOT reach the top of the inclined surface..
Is what I am doing correct?

In fact, you could replace the 1.5 with x (or whatever variable you prefer) to find out how far up the ramp the cart (with putty) will go.

What you did looks fine.

Related to Will the cart reach the end of the ramp?

1. Will the cart reach the end of the ramp?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the angle of the ramp, the weight of the cart, and any external forces acting on the cart. In theory, if the ramp is at a low enough angle and there are no external forces, the cart should reach the end of the ramp. However, in real-world situations, there may be other factors that could affect the outcome.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the cart's ability to reach the end?

The angle of the ramp is a crucial factor in determining whether the cart will reach the end. A steeper angle will require more force to push the cart up the ramp, while a shallower angle will require less force. If the angle is too steep, the cart may not have enough force to overcome the gravitational pull and reach the end of the ramp.

3. Does the weight of the cart make a difference in whether it reaches the end of the ramp?

Yes, the weight of the cart plays a significant role in its ability to reach the end of the ramp. The heavier the cart, the more force is needed to push it up the ramp. If the cart is too heavy, it may not have enough force to reach the end of the ramp. Additionally, a heavier cart may also be more susceptible to external forces, such as friction or air resistance, which can affect its movement.

4. What other factors can affect the cart's ability to reach the end of the ramp?

In addition to the angle of the ramp and the weight of the cart, there are other factors that can impact the cart's movement. These include external forces such as friction and air resistance, as well as the condition of the ramp and the wheels of the cart. A rough or uneven surface on the ramp could slow down the cart, while smooth wheels will help it move more efficiently.

5. Is there a formula to determine if the cart will reach the end of the ramp?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the force needed to move an object up a ramp. This formula takes into account the weight of the object, the angle of the ramp, and the coefficient of friction. However, there are often other variables at play, so the formula may not always accurately predict whether the cart will reach the end of the ramp in real-world situations.