Will the Boston Red Sox Regret Trading Away a Hall of Famer?

• News
  • Thread starter Jordan Joab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
I...am...<gasp>...RIGHT.Good. I hope this is a continuing downward spiral for both the Yanks and the BoSox. In summary, the conversation revolves around the Red Sox trading a hall of famer, Manny Ramirez, for an average player, Jason Bay. The discussion includes arguments about the success of the Red Sox and Yankees, the performance of Bay and Ramirez, and predictions for the upcoming season. The conversation also touches on other trades in the league and includes friendly banter between fans of different teams.
Jordan Joab
Congratulations on trading a hall of famer for an average player. Enjoy the two titles you have won. They will help you cope with the frustration and disappointment in the years ahead. Hopefully, you will learn not to trade hall of famers away. Unfortunately, 1918 and 2008 show otherwise so I must assume you will make the same mistakes again.

In any case, let's hope Big Papi stays healthy. If not, I don't think our annual October date in the Bronx will be taking place.

Best wishes,

A Yankees fan.

(Dedicated to all PF Red Sox fans :biggrin:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Bay is a well above average player (an all star 3 years ago) who has been plagued by injuries the past two seasons. Regardless, you are missing the point: Manny would have been a free agent at the end of the year and the Sox weren't willing to pony up the dough for a guy who wasn't happy there anyway. So they had to get what they could get for him.

Yeah, it was an uneven trade - but it was better than getting nothing, which is what they would have gotten if they hadn't traded him.

Bay's lifetime stats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Bay
Ramirez lifetime stas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Ramirez

Looking at this year's stats, they aren't as far apart as I had thought.
Ramirez is .299, 68 rbi, 86 SO, .398 obp, .529slg
Bay is .282, 64 rbi, 86 SO, .375 obp, .519 slg

Ramirez's are better, but not by much, and a lot of that comes from playing for a better team. Oh - and Manny is about as bad a fielder as Barry Bonds.

edit: and he's also 36 while Bay is 29.

Last edited:
Blah Blah Blah:rolleyes:

Actually, you are right. The core of the problem was the 2 option years Manny had on his contract. He believes he can get 100mil for the next 4yrs, more than likely as a DH.

Nonetheless, the Red Sox just handed over the WS to the Angels. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Manny ends up in pinstripes sticking it to the Red Sox.

~J

russ_watters said:
Ramirez's are better, but not by much, and a lot of that comes from playing for a better team. Oh - and Manny is about as bad a fielder as Barry Bonds.

edit: and he's also 36 while Bay is 29.

Manny's a great fielder. This is a great play - Manny high-five double play Now, that's entertainment. :smile:

It's a heck of a lot better than Jose Canseco's most memorable play in the outfield.

Jordan Joab said:
Congratulations on trading a hall of famer for an average player. Enjoy the two titles you have won. They will help you cope with the frustration and disappointment in the years ahead. Hopefully, you will learn not to trade hall of famers away. Unfortunately, 1918 and 2008 show otherwise so I must assume you will make the same mistakes again.

In any case, let's hope Big Papi stays healthy. If not, I don't think our annual October date in the Bronx will be taking place.

Best wishes,A Yankees fan.

(Dedicated to all PF Red Sox fans :biggrin:)

Russ is right. And not only is Bay an above average player he will be playing at Fenway a hitter's park. PNC which is the one he used to play in is a pitcher's park which depresses offensive numbers.

By the way, I am a Yankee fan and couldn't be happier that we won't face manny anymore.

Good. I hope this is a continuing downward spiral for both the Yanks and the BoSox.

BTW, no one is going be able to stop the Cubs or the CWS this year. The cubs have a ridiculous offense AND starting pitching staff.

The_Professional said:
Russ is right. And not only is Bay an above average player he will be playing at Fenway a hitter's park.
A point lost on many Monday-morning quarterbacks. Put Bay in Fenway for 1/2 of his games and his offensive number could easily surpass Manny's.

Yeah well, my Tigers just traded away their Hall of Fame catcher for more mediocre relief. So congrats to you Jordan Joab, Yankee fan :)

Jordan Joab said:
Congratulations on trading a hall of famer ...

Don't worry about us. We Red Sox fans are good to go for another 80+ years. :smile: Seeing them win a 2nd Word Series in my lifetime was just icing on the cake! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Unlike Yankee fans, who are miserable wretches :cry: unless they are winning the World Series every single year.

The Red Sox won't be making the WS this year, sorry. Unless the Yanks wake up, it's going to be Angels beating the Cubs this October. Oh yea, expect Manny to be wearing pinstripes next year!:approve:

Redbelly98 said:
Don't worry about us. We Red Sox fans are good to go for another 80+ years. :smile: Seeing them win a 2nd Word Series in my lifetime was just icing on the cake! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Unlike Yankee fans, who are miserable wretches :cry: unless they are winning the World Series every single year.

We won the super Bowl, over the "perfect":smile: Patriots no less! I think we are good!:biggrin:

True. Hell of a game too.

You seem to happy to be a true Yankees fan!

Grr, sports arguments...they usually go as follows:

Guy 1: Ha! X happened to team I'm biased against Y!

Guy 2: So! X happened because Y team has Guy A with an injury, the other team got lucky. Y team RULES!

Guy 1: Blah blah blah, I totally disregard any evidence you have for Y's loss because team Z rules! Obviously team Y has (he names one or a few of the following) bad/no offense/defense/finesse/ability. Player A (or the whole team) has bad [insert verb here] skills! They should trade for player B, because B pisses achievement.

Guy 2: No, YOUR favorite team sucks because they traded this guy, have horrible [bad quality Guy 1 mentioned above]! Take that! Oh here, let me throw some stats at you! Maybe that will get you to agree with me, and then I can know that this whole argument isn't a waste of time that will obviously not sway either side unlike every other sports argument in history.

Guy 1: Those stats don't mean crap! Let's argue another fruitless hour while some poor guy who is trying not to listen has to because we're in a airport/in class/at a bar/waiting in line/etc.

Guy trying not to listen: *thinking to himself* I wish these [slang 't' word meaning vagina]s would shut up about their stupid baseball/football/soccer/hockey/basketball/other pointless sports team, so I don't have to push out a memory I'm fond of to make room for this retarded crap.
[/end of argument]

Redbelly98 said:
True. Hell of a game too.

You seem to happy to be a true Yankees fan!

:rolleyes:

Pssssstt... I secretly root for the Mets... I even have a Mets cap :(

Daniel Y. said:
Grr, sports arguments...they usually go as follows:

Guy 1: Ha! X happened to team I'm biased against Y!

Guy 2: So! X happened because Y team has Guy A with an injury, the other team got lucky. Y team RULES!

Guy 1: Blah blah blah, I totally disregard any evidence you have for Y's loss because team Z rules! Obviously team Y has (he names one or a few of the following) bad/no offense/defense/finesse/ability. Player A (or the whole team) has bad [insert verb here] skills! They should trade for player B, because B pisses achievement.

Guy 2: No, YOUR favorite team sucks because they traded this guy, have horrible [bad quality Guy 1 mentioned above]! Take that! Oh here, let me throw some stats at you! Maybe that will get you to agree with me, and then I can know that this whole argument isn't a waste of time that will obviously not sway either side unlike every other sports argument in history.

Guy 1: Those stats don't mean crap! Let's argue another fruitless hour while some poor guy who is trying not to listen has to because we're in a airport/in class/at a bar/waiting in line/etc.

Guy trying not to listen: *thinking to himself* I wish these [slang 't' word meaning vagina]s would shut up about their stupid baseball/football/soccer/hockey/basketball/other pointless sports team, so I don't have to push out a memory I'm fond of to make room for this retarded crap.
[/end of argument]

You need to get drunk and let loose, brother!

Jordan Joab said:
You need to get drunk and let loose, brother!

Definitely need to let loose. Too young to drink, and everything else is illegal. Maybe I'll meditate or something.

Related to Will the Boston Red Sox Regret Trading Away a Hall of Famer?

1. Will trading away a Hall of Famer affect the Boston Red Sox's success in the future?

It is difficult to predict the exact impact of trading away a Hall of Famer on a team's success in the future. However, losing a top player can certainly have an impact on a team's performance and it may take time for the team to adjust and find a replacement.

2. Who is the Hall of Famer that the Boston Red Sox traded away?

The Boston Red Sox have made several trades involving Hall of Famers in the past, so it depends on which specific trade is being referred to. Some notable Hall of Famers that have been traded away by the Red Sox include Babe Ruth, Jeff Bagwell, and Pedro Martinez.

3. What motivated the Boston Red Sox to trade away a Hall of Famer?

There can be various reasons for a team to trade away a Hall of Famer. It could be due to financial reasons, team chemistry issues, or a desire to acquire new players and build a stronger team. Ultimately, the decision to trade away a Hall of Famer is made based on what the team believes is best for their future success.

4. Have the Boston Red Sox ever regretted trading away a Hall of Famer in the past?

There have been instances where the Boston Red Sox have regretted trading away a Hall of Famer. For example, trading away Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees in 1919 has been considered by many as one of the biggest mistakes in baseball history. However, there have also been trades where the Red Sox have benefited from trading away a Hall of Famer, such as the trade that brought Pedro Martinez to the team in 1997.

5. Can the Boston Red Sox make up for trading away a Hall of Famer?

It is possible for a team to make up for trading away a Hall of Famer, but it largely depends on the players they receive in return and how the team performs moving forward. A team can also make up for trading away a Hall of Famer by signing or drafting new talent, making smart trades, and building a strong overall team. Time will tell if the Boston Red Sox will be able to make up for any past trades involving Hall of Famers.

Back