Will separation of variables work in solving this PDE?

In summary: Is there a reason you chose to use a different method than Mathematica?In summary, the problem involves solving the PDE p_t = -vk^2 p - k \delta p_k, where p = p(k,t) and v,\delta are known constants. The poster tried to find a solution of the form p(k,t) = K(k)T(t) and used separation of variables to obtain the solution p(k,t) = A_0 e^{-ct} k^{c/\delta} e^{-vk^2/2\delta}. However, when solving the PDE in Mathematica, a different solution was obtained: p(k,t) = A_0(t-(\log k)/\delta) e^{-
AxiomOfChoice

Homework Statement

As part of the solution to a HW problem of mine, I have to solve the PDE

[tex]
p_t = -vk^2 p - k \delta p_k,
[/tex]

where [itex]p = p(k,t)[/itex] and [itex]v,\delta[/itex] are known constants.

Homework Equations

I tried to look for a solution of the form [itex]p(k,t) = K(k)T(t)[/itex] and found one, but I'm not sure if I need to sum/integrate over my arbitrary constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Separation of variables gave me the solution

[tex]
p(k,t) = A_0 e^{-ct} k^{c/\delta} e^{-vk^2/2\delta},
[/tex]

where [itex]c[/itex] is the constant one gets from the separation of variables and [itex]A_0[/itex] is a constant of integration. But I tried solving the PDE in Mathematica, and got a different solution:

[tex]
p(k,t) = A_0(t-(\log k)/\delta) e^{-vk^2/2\delta}.
[/tex]

Can someone explain why Mathematica's answer differs from mine? Also, do I need to perform an integration/sum in [itex]c[/itex] to get the most general solution? I've plugged both my solution and Mathematica's in, and they both work, so I'm thinking I have to go another step to get the general solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

AxiomOfChoice said:

I tried to look for a solution of the form [itex]p(x,t) = X(x)T(t)[/itex] and found one, but I'm not sure if I need to sum/integrate over my arbitrary constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Separation of variables gave me the solution

[tex]
p(k,t) = A_0 e^{-ct} k^{c/\delta} e^{-vk^2/2\delta},
[/tex]

Can someone explain why Mathematica's answer differs from mine? Also, do I need to perform an integration/sum in [itex]c[/itex] to get the most general solution? I've plugged both my solution and Mathematica's in, and they both work, so I'm thinking I have to go another step to get the general solution.

Show us some details about how you arrived at your solution.

One thing I noticed:

[tex]
\log\left(e^{-ct} k^{c/\delta}\right)=-c\left(t-\frac{\log(k)}{\delta}\right)
[/tex]

I'll be happy to. I have a function to go to right now, but I'll be back in a few hours and will type up how I arrived at my separation of variables solution.

Ok. So, on to my separation of variables calculations. Note that I have also corrected a typo in my original post, replacing some [itex]x[/itex]'s with [itex]k[/itex]'s. Writing [itex]p(k,t) = K(k)T(t)[/itex] and plugging into the PDE, we find (after dividing through on both sides by [itex]KT[/itex])

[tex]
\frac{1}{T} \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -v^2 k^2 - k \delta \frac{1}{K} \frac{\partial K}{\partial k}.
[/tex]

The LHS is a function of t only; the RHS a function of k only. So we can (I think) set them both equal to a constant, which I call [itex]-c[/itex] (anticipating that it will be negative). The equation for T becomes

[tex]
\frac{d T}{d t} = -c T.
[/tex]

This has the obvious solution [itex]T(t) = C_0 e^{-ct}[/itex]. The equation for K, however, becomes (after canceling the minus sign)

[tex]
v^2 k^2 + k \delta \frac{1}{K} \frac{d K}{d k} = c.
[/tex]

This can be rearranged and rewritten as

[tex]
\frac{dK}{K} = \left( \frac{c}{k \delta} - v^2 k \right) dk.
[/tex]

Integrating on both sides, we obtain (after combining the two constants we get into one, C^0_1, on the RHS)

[tex]
\log K = \frac{c}{\delta} \log k - \frac{v^2 k^2}{2\delta} + C^0_1.
[/tex]

Hence, after exponentiating both sides, we obtain

[tex]
K(k) = C_1 k^{c/\delta} \exp \left( -\frac{v^2 k^2}{2\delta} \right).
[/tex]

Now we put them together:

[tex]
p(k,t) = K(k)T(t) = A_0 e^{-ct} k^{c/\delta} \exp \left( -\frac{v^2 k^2}{2\delta} \right),
[/tex]

which is what I have listed above. Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

It looks good to me.

Related to Will separation of variables work in solving this PDE?

1. Can separation of variables be used to solve any type of PDE?

No, separation of variables is a technique that can only be used to solve certain types of PDEs, specifically those that are linear, homogeneous, and have constant coefficients.

2. How do I know if separation of variables will work for a specific PDE?

You can determine if separation of variables will work by checking if the PDE meets the criteria mentioned above - linearity, homogeneity, and constant coefficients. If it does, then separation of variables can be used.

3. What are the steps to solving a PDE using separation of variables?

The first step is to rewrite the PDE in its standard form, followed by separating the variables by setting the equation equal to a constant. Then, solve each separated equation for its respective variable. Finally, combine the solutions and use boundary conditions to determine the constants of integration.

4. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables to solve PDEs?

Yes, there are limitations to using separation of variables. This method is only applicable to certain types of PDEs and may not work for more complex equations. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find a complete solution using this technique.

5. Are there any alternative methods to solving PDEs besides separation of variables?

Yes, there are other methods for solving PDEs, such as the method of characteristics, Fourier series, and Laplace transform. The choice of method depends on the specific PDE and its characteristics. In some cases, a combination of methods may be used to solve a PDE.