Will I Transfer to UIUC Engineering with a C in Physics?

In summary, a C in physics 1 won't necessarily derail your chances of getting into a good school like UIUC's school of engineering, but if your overall GPA is over 3.00, you might want to consider looking into other options.
SELFMADE
Will I be still able to transfer to UIUC school of engineering? I have talked to the Illinois advisor, he said as long as you have 3.0gpa. But would one C derail my chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. I'd seriously start re-thinking this whole college thing.

whs said:
Yes. I'd seriously start re-thinking this whole college thing.

Are you serious? Is this serious?

You are ruining my night

SELFMADE said:
Are you serious? Is this serious?

You are ruining my night

Dude, he's messing with you. Post-finals freshie meltdown is kind of cute to watch, but it's also tempting to just poke at you.

It's a C, which is still passing. Trust me, not the end of the world, probably not even the worse grade you'll ever get. They happen, move on. (I'm saying this while in my own bad grade funk, so I really do know what you're feeling sort of.) It probably won't derail your chances, 'specially if the adviser is saying it won't and your overall GPA is over 3.00. They happen, brush yourself off and do better in physics II.

Don't sweat it. I got a C+ in physics 1 (if I recall correctly). I ended up getting into grad school in physics and passing my PhD qualifier. Truth is, physics 1 is a really hard class. I don't think I understood the material well until after I took advanced classical mechanics as a junior. The key, I think, is to make sure you start improving, and that in your upper level classes you have the grades to show said improvement.

Thank you so much! That gives me great motivation. Truth is I did not give my best. And it was almost 7 years since I had taken any physics. I am going to have same prof for physics II. Now I know exactly what is needed to get a decent grade in that class.

I got a 69 in physics 1, and last summer I won a scholarship that granted me a paid internship at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics + paid for my 4th year tuition costs. don't worry about it ;)

Related to Will I Transfer to UIUC Engineering with a C in Physics?

1. Can I still transfer to UIUC Engineering with a C in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to UIUC Engineering with a C in Physics. However, a C grade may affect your chances of admission as admission decisions are based on a combination of factors including grades, transferable credit hours, and overall academic performance.

2. Will a C in Physics affect my chances of getting into a specific engineering program at UIUC?

It depends on the specific program and the competitiveness of the applicant pool. Some engineering programs at UIUC may have higher admission standards and a C grade in Physics may impact your chances of admission. It is important to research the specific admission requirements for your desired program.

3. Can I make up for a C in Physics by excelling in other courses?

It is possible to offset a C grade in Physics by excelling in other courses, but it ultimately depends on the overall strength of your application. UIUC Engineering looks at a variety of factors in their admission decisions, so it is important to have a strong overall academic record.

4. Will retaking the Physics course and getting a higher grade improve my chances of transferring to UIUC Engineering?

Retaking the Physics course and receiving a higher grade may improve your chances of transferring to UIUC Engineering, but it is not guaranteed. Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors and a higher grade in one course does not guarantee admission.

5. Are there any other factors besides grades that UIUC Engineering considers in their transfer admissions process?

Yes, in addition to grades, UIUC Engineering also considers transferable credit hours, overall academic performance, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. It is important to have a strong overall application to increase your chances of transferring to UIUC Engineering.