Will Disney's Robotic Acrobats Replace Stuntmen in Movies?

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary, Disney is exploring the use of robotic acrobats as potential replacements for stuntmen in their movies. The goal is not to replace actors or stuntmen, but rather to work alongside them and potentially create new, impressive moves. However, there are concerns about the "uncanny valley" and the difficulty in replicating the human touch in creative fields. While it's possible that these robots could be used in films, it's unlikely that they will completely replace the need for actors and stuntmen. In previous situations where new technology was introduced, it often resulted in increased production or expansion of staff rather than job elimination.
Disney is experimenting with robotic acrobats as possible replacements for stuntmen in their movies.

How good are they? Checkout the video below:

Likes scottdave, ChemAir and nsaspook
Engineering news on Phys.org
As noted in the video, the view is not to replace actors or stuntmen.
The stuntman in the video is describing as a tool he will use himself.

Consider this: If I was programming one of these stunt bots, I would start by emulating moves that have already been developed by human stuntmen. Working with the robots will result in new moves - and the human/robot mix will create even more and better results. There is artistry in this - and humans in the roles of system developers and in the roles stunt people will contribute to this art.

Famous last words, “not to replace actors or stuntmen”

History says differently, if they can they will with humans overseeing the work done. In deference though, it true that it’s difficult to get computers to have that human touch from jazz to dancing to acting. Often the uncanny valley fear appears.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/future...ey-robots-so-creepy-theyll-haunt-your-dreams/

I don't doubt that they will be used in films. What I do doubt is that it will reduce the number of actors or stuntmen required.
I've been in a lot of situations where it looked as though a new computer system was going to eliminate jobs - but I've never seen it happen.
And I do not claim that it couldn't happen. But in the situations I've been involved in, the result has been more and/or better production with the employer taking full advantage of the existing staff - or, in many cases, expanding staff.

Related to Will Disney's Robotic Acrobats Replace Stuntmen in Movies?

What are Disney's Robotic Acrobats?

Disney's Robotic Acrobats are a group of highly advanced robots designed and programmed by Disney Imagineers to perform acrobatic stunts and routines.

How are Disney's Robotic Acrobats controlled?

The Robotic Acrobats are controlled by a team of trained technicians who use a combination of pre-programmed routines and live controls to coordinate their movements and stunts.

What makes Disney's Robotic Acrobats unique?

Disney's Robotic Acrobats are unique in their ability to perform complex acrobatic stunts and routines with precision and fluidity, mimicking the movements and grace of human performers.

Are Disney's Robotic Acrobats safe to perform with human performers?

Yes, the Robotic Acrobats are designed with safety in mind and undergo extensive testing and programming to ensure they can perform safely alongside human performers.

Will Disney's Robotic Acrobats replace human performers in Disney's shows?

No, Disney's Robotic Acrobats are intended to enhance and add to the overall entertainment experience, but they will not replace the talent and creativity of human performers in Disney's shows.