Will colleges [specifically MIT] see my achievements?

• Schools
  • Thread starter unsung-hero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
In summary: With that, your chances of admission would increase.In summary, the junior has taken advanced math classes and is researching thermodynamic topics. She is currently a senior and is working hard on the physics olympiad. She has also compiled a list of schools that she is considering.
unsung-hero
ok, so i want to apply to mit. I am a junior, my sat score is 800 for math, 740 reading, 690 writing, subject sats, bio 720, physics 800, and 800 on both maths. i haven't taken any physics class(because of special cirriculam in my school) my gpa isn't very good, however, i ve taken really advanced math classes(diff eq 1, real analysis 1, vector geometry, linear algebra(credit by examination), will be taking more math in senior year as well, i have As on all of them except on 1 where i have a b)

also, i am researching on thermodynamics topics, for which i may get rechognition(by this i mean i will be competing in science fair)(maybe not the first prize, but definitely semifinalist or isef finalist) but this is in my senior year.

i am currently a senior, for the past year I've been working like crazy for the physics olympiad, i will make the semi-finals for sure, but i think i might actually make the finals.

but, all this (my research, and physics olympiad(if i make the finals)) will happen after i submit my application, however, they are very important credential, in my opinion. so, my question, is will mit(or other college) see that I've done these by any chance even though they happened after i submit my application.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I think you should contact MIT Undergrad admissions and ask them how you submit these things so that they will appear in your application. Also you should make a campus visit if you can to show your interest.

Since you really want to go to physics you should try to talk with a prof in the physics department and talk about your interest, your grades and the advanced math courses you've taken. Your GPA will have to be framed in connection with your advanced math courses meaning the GPA doesn't reflect your ability but that you can do more advanced work as shown in your math skills.

Does your schools physics or math teachers have some contacts with MIT? Do your guidance counsellors have contacts with MIT? Do they have contacts at your alternate schools (see backup plan below)?

It would also be a good idea to read Zapperz's essay on becoming a physicist in the featured threads section of this site.

Lastly, as a backup plan look at other schools as well like Harvard and Princeton or Columbia on theeast coast and UCLA or Stanford on the west coast and any major school in between. Look at lower tier colleges and universities and compile a list of 3 top tier, 3 midtier, 3 for sure schools.

I do believe that MIT accepts supplemental information after the application is submitted. However, for something like the physics olympiad, it may be too late.

The IPhO is in July, and admissions decisions are mailed in mid-March (in fact, enrollment decisions are May 1st or so). There is a February update, due mid-February.

My advice to you is to work on actually achieving these achievements and not worry so much about other people's reactions to them. I'd also work on getting your grades up.

I cannot speak on behalf of MIT or any other college's admissions process. However, based on my understanding of the admissions process, it is likely that MIT and other colleges will take into consideration your achievements and activities that occur after you have submitted your application.

Many colleges, including MIT, have a holistic approach to admissions, meaning they take into account a variety of factors such as academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and personal qualities. Your advanced math classes, high subject test scores, and potential recognition for your research and participation in the physics olympiad are all impressive accomplishments that could positively impact your application.

While it is important to showcase your achievements and activities in your application, it is also important to continue pursuing your interests and passions beyond the application process. Colleges value students who are dedicated and driven, and your ongoing efforts in the physics olympiad and research show just that.

It is also worth noting that colleges often have a process for updating your application with new information or achievements. You may want to reach out to MIT's admissions office to inquire about their specific policy for updating your application with new information.

In conclusion, while I cannot guarantee that MIT or other colleges will see your achievements that occur after you submit your application, it is likely that they will take them into consideration as part of their holistic review process. Continue to pursue your passions and showcase your dedication and hard work, and I wish you the best of luck in your college application journey.

Related to Will colleges [specifically MIT] see my achievements?

1. Will MIT see all of my achievements, even the smaller ones?

It depends on what achievements you are referring to. MIT will have access to your official academic transcripts, which will include your grades and any honors or awards you have received. They will also see any extracurricular activities or projects that you have listed on your application. However, if you have smaller achievements that are not listed on your application or transcripts, such as personal hobbies or volunteer work, it is unlikely that MIT will see them.

2. How important are my achievements in the admissions process for MIT?

Your achievements are just one aspect of your overall application to MIT. While they can demonstrate your dedication and talents, admissions decisions are based on a combination of factors, including grades, test scores, essays, and letters of recommendation. It is important to highlight your achievements in your application, but they will not be the sole determining factor in your acceptance to MIT.

3. Will MIT consider achievements from before high school?

Yes, MIT will consider achievements from before high school, such as academic or extracurricular accomplishments during middle school. However, keep in mind that the majority of your application should focus on your high school achievements and experiences. You can mention earlier achievements if they are relevant to your current interests and goals.

4. How can I make sure MIT sees all of my achievements?

The best way to ensure that MIT sees all of your achievements is to include them in your application and transcripts. Make sure to thoroughly fill out all sections of the application and provide any relevant information, such as awards or honors received. You can also ask your guidance counselor to mention any significant achievements in their letter of recommendation.

5. Will MIT consider achievements from outside of academics?

Yes, MIT values well-rounded students and considers achievements from outside of academics. This can include extracurricular activities, community service, work experience, and personal projects. It is important to highlight these achievements in your application and explain how they have shaped your interests and goals.