Will CERN Discover New Physics Beyond the Higgs Boson?

• Thread starter Calrid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cern
In summary, the future holds the potential for exciting discoveries, although it may be less exciting than some people would hope. Higher energy experiments may yield something new that can be explained by the standard model, but it's possible that something more exciting will be found.
Calrid
This is a what does the future hold question and its also an opinion based question, although please trying keep the guesses educated at least.

I hope it's going to turn up a Higgs Bosun just because its a neat solution, what about you. I am well aware the whole focus is not even remotely just on this issue it's just an example, so what's your pet theory or "theory" and will it be proved or disproved by CERN, or will it just become more likely.

Keep it real people, of course CERN is not going to find God staring back at them or the holy grail unless of course you mean the God particle or a GUT. :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
It'd be nice if we could find the Higgs boson.

Does the Higgs Bosun help navigate across the Dirac Sea?

Last edited:
Would a higgsino then be a Bosuns Mate?

jhae2.718 said:
It'd be nice if we could find the Higgs boson.

I think it'd be far more exciting if they found nothing.

Think of how boring things would be if Michelson and Morley detected the flow of luminiferous aether.

A black hole.

I would be happy with CP violation.

Gokul43201 said:
Does the Higgs Bosun help navigate across the Dirac Sea?

Aye with fair winds and canny navigation we should find where the holy grail lies.

Jack21222 said:

Think of how boring things would be if Michelson and Morley detected the flow of luminiferous aether.

I don't think it would kill the standard model certainly but it would need to be revised assuming they manage to reach the upper limits.

Jimmy Snyder said:
A black hole.

Yes and the whole Earth will be destroyed. :-p

nismaratwork said:
I would be happy with CP violation.

Meh the weak force is CP variant.

Vanadium 50 said:
Would a higgsino then be a Bosuns Mate?

I presume the graviton would be the cabin boy..?

Last edited:
Jack21222 said:

M&M didn't find "nothing", they answered a question. Higher energy experiments will yield something new (in terms of answers to questions) whether or not it matches expectations.

Pythagorean said:
M&M didn't find "nothing", they answered a question. Higher energy experiments will yield something new (in terms of answers to questions) whether or not it matches expectations.

I never New Marshall Mathers was a theoretical/experimental physicist, he kept that one quiet. :wink:

Calrid said:
I never New Marshall Mathers was a theoretical/experimental physicist, he kept that one quiet. :wink:

well, it's a terrible image for the hip hop market; especially for a scrawny white boy.

Related to Will CERN Discover New Physics Beyond the Higgs Boson?

What is CERN going to turn up?

CERN's main goal is to study the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. In particular, they are looking for the Higgs boson, which is believed to be the particle responsible for giving other particles their mass. Additionally, CERN is also studying the properties of antimatter and dark matter, as well as trying to understand the origins of the universe.

What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is a particle accelerator located at CERN. It is a 27-kilometer long circular tunnel located underground, and it is used to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light before colliding them together. The LHC allows scientists to recreate the conditions of the early universe and study the particles and forces that govern our world.

What are the potential benefits of CERN's research?

CERN's research has the potential to lead to numerous scientific breakthroughs and technological advancements. By studying the fundamental particles and forces, scientists can gain a better understanding of how our universe works. This knowledge can also lead to new technologies, such as medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as advancements in computing and energy production.

Is CERN safe?

Yes, CERN is safe. The experiments conducted at CERN are carefully controlled and monitored by a team of scientists and engineers. The particle collisions that occur in the LHC happen at a microscopic level and do not pose any threat to the surrounding environment or the general public.

Will CERN create a black hole?

No, CERN will not create a black hole. The energy levels reached by the particle collisions at CERN are not high enough to create a black hole. Even if a black hole were to be created, it would be extremely small and would disappear almost immediately due to Hawking radiation. CERN's research has been thoroughly evaluated and deemed safe by numerous scientific bodies.