Wifi communication with microcontroller

In summary: So, if you're not prepared to debug and maintain the link, then you might want to consider a different option.In summary, there are many different devices found online that could be used for this project, but it is difficult to determine which one will be sufficient without knowing more about the project requirements.
maestro63
Hi, I'm doing a project to send messages from a PC to a micro controller using WiFi. The MCU will intern display the message on an LCD. I have doubts about what devices I should buy to make the wifi communication and also what type of MCU I need to buy?...Any suggestions...

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the devices found so far and why do you doubt them?

I have done some research but haven't found any devices so far and I needed suggestions on which MCU comes with wireless module or do I need to buy the wireless module separately??...I only need to send a maximum of 32 characters message since the LCD is 2 by 16.

actually I found out I can use Black Widow which is an "Arduino Duemilanove compatible clone but it has some components switched out for surface mount equivalents to free up space for the wireless module" http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/blackwidow-10-p-613.html?cPath=79_82...I am not sure which components have been switched..

Also found out on MRF24WB0MA wireless module which is connected to PIC microcontrollers via a 4-wire SPI interface...so which option should be sufficient and less complicated to implement my project??...thanks

I think it will be difficult for anyone here to judge which will be sufficient as we don't know the requirements of the project. For example, is there a range, power, size, price, or latency requirement (to name a few)?

I guess my first suggestion would be to avoid wireless links. Especially if you want to keep the project simple.

And if it absolutely must be wireless, go with whatever product comes with the best support and documentation because you're definitely going to need it. Wireless links, and their drivers, have a way of breaking in ways you wouldn't expect.

Related to Wifi communication with microcontroller

1. What is Wifi communication and how does it work?

Wifi communication refers to the ability of a device, such as a microcontroller, to connect to a wireless network and exchange data with other devices or the internet. This is achieved through a wireless radio frequency signal that allows devices to communicate with each other using a standard set of protocols.

2. Can a microcontroller communicate via Wifi without any additional hardware?

No, a microcontroller typically requires additional hardware, such as a wifi module, to enable wifi communication. This module acts as a transceiver, converting data into radio waves and vice versa. Some microcontrollers may have built-in wifi capabilities, but most will require external hardware.

3. How fast is Wifi communication with a microcontroller?

The speed of wifi communication with a microcontroller can vary depending on the specific hardware and protocols being used. Generally, wifi can achieve speeds of up to several hundred megabits per second, but the actual speed will depend on factors such as distance, interference, and the capabilities of the microcontroller itself.

4. Can a microcontroller communicate with multiple devices through Wifi?

Yes, a microcontroller can communicate with multiple devices through wifi. This is typically achieved through a wifi router, which acts as a central hub for multiple devices to connect to. The microcontroller can then communicate with other devices on the same network, as well as devices connected to the internet.

5. What are the advantages of using Wifi communication with a microcontroller?

One of the main advantages of using wifi communication with a microcontroller is the ability to connect to a larger network or the internet, allowing for remote control and monitoring of the device. Wifi also offers faster data transfer speeds compared to other wireless communication methods, such as Bluetooth. Additionally, wifi is a widely available and established technology that is relatively easy to implement.