Anyone familiar with SFP Fiber Optic Modules?

In summary, SFP+ modules can operate at low speed, but they may not be able to communicate with the MCU at that speed.
A.J.710
I have a question regarding the minimum operating speed of new SFP+ fiber modules. In my line of work, I'm most commonly seeing 10GBASE SFP+ modules installed for network data. Can these modules operate at low speed? Specifically with a PHY capable of only a fraction of the data rate?

Further detail:
I have programmed a 10/100BASE capable microcontroller connected to a PHY and standard ethernet port to host a DHCP server and send ping requests with feedback. This was in attempt to create a quick tester for network ports, mainly to verify internal connections from the network ports to the CPU of a closed product.

I'd like to design a battery powered PCB to make this device handheld for quick portable checks. It's my understanding that with a lower speed SFP module, it would be as easy as the current setup and just replacing the ethernet magnetics with the SFP cage connector and adding all final support circuitry. Is this even possible with a 10GBASE SFP+ modules?

I know it's physically impossible for it to communicate to the MCU at that speed, but would it still be able to function at the lower speed in order to just send the simple pings or other custom data packets? The pinouts for the SFP vs. SFP+ modules look the same. I'm hoping to be able to make this universal for copper or fiber inserts. Are there any fundamental hardware differences that make the port SFP+ compatible besides being able to handle the higher speed?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm fairly familiar with these ports at a computer network system level, but this is the first time I'm attempting to really dive into the low level electronics of their direct communication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Good Day. I am having a similar issue with low data rates. 9.8304Mbps runs fine but 4.096Mbps runs errors. Did you have any luck resolving the issue? Thank you.

I am also interested in this, for a fibre/fiber conversion from MM to SM, with an old protocol that runs at only 1Mbps. I would have _thought_ that a 'non-smart' SFP that does simple clock recovery and electrical to light (and reverse) conversion in a transparent way should work at any low speed? But if it is a 'smart' device and only expects Ethernet-type signals then I guess it will not work, and it is too smart for its own good.
Would love for someone who really knows how these things work to chip in here... thanks in advance.

brian_au said:
I am also interested in this, for a fibre/fiber conversion from MM to SM, with an old protocol that runs at only 1Mbps. I would have _thought_ that a 'non-smart' SFP that does simple clock recovery and electrical to light (and reverse) conversion in a transparent way should work at any low speed? But if it is a 'smart' device and only expects Ethernet-type signals then I guess it will not work, and it is too smart for its own good.
Would love for someone who really knows how these things work to chip in here... thanks in advance.
Welcome to PF, Brian.

I'm not that familiar with this FO module, but if it has a minimum datarate, I'm guessing that there is a highpass filter structure somewhere in the circuit (for whatever reason). Hopefully you can find a low-speed alternative.

1. What is an SFP fiber optic module?

An SFP (Small Form-factor Pluggable) fiber optic module is a small transceiver that is used to convert electrical signals into optical signals and vice versa. It is commonly used in networking equipment to connect devices over fiber optic cables.

2. How does an SFP fiber optic module work?

The SFP module contains a transmitter and a receiver, which convert electrical signals into light signals and vice versa. The module is plugged into a port on a networking device, and the fiber optic cable is connected to the module. The module then sends and receives data through the fiber optic cable using light signals.

3. What are the advantages of using SFP fiber optic modules?

SFP fiber optic modules have several advantages, including their small size, hot-swappable capability, and compatibility with a variety of networking equipment. They also have the ability to transmit data over longer distances and at higher speeds compared to traditional copper cables.

4. How do I choose the right SFP fiber optic module for my network?

When choosing an SFP fiber optic module, it is important to consider factors such as the network speed, distance requirements, and compatibility with the networking equipment. It is also important to choose a reputable and reliable brand to ensure the best performance and compatibility.

5. Can SFP fiber optic modules be used in different types of networks?

Yes, SFP fiber optic modules are designed to be compatible with a variety of networking equipment, including switches, routers, and servers. They can be used in different types of networks, such as LANs, WANs, and data centers, as long as the equipment supports the use of SFP modules.