Why would more RAM of same type/speed not work?

• Thread starter TylerH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of upgrading the RAM in a laptop to 2x8GB despite it being of the same type and speed as the current 2x4GB configuration. The conversation also delves into the technical reasons for the chipset having a memory and slot limit, as explained in a linked article. The speaker expresses disappointment at not being able to upgrade and questions the practicality of having 16GB of RAM.
TylerH
I know what type of RAM I have: DDR3-PC3 12800 at 1600MHz. My laptop came with 2x4GB and I want to upgrade to 2x8GB and every resource I've found says 4GB per slot (and I only have 2 slots) is the most memory this laptop can use ( http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Samsung-memory/Series+5/NP550P5C-T01US-upgrades.html ). Why would a 8GB stick of the same type and speed not work? I'm interested in the technical reasons, if anyone has any idea. I like to think I have a good understanding of computer organization, but the idea of two sticks of the same type/speed being incompatible just defies my understanding.

Thanks for your time,
Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the informative link. I knew the logical vs physical addressing thing but not the part about the chipset.
That really sucks though. I was hoping it was some stupid mistake and I would be able to upgrade. But, then again, when, other than compiling GCC and baking fluids in Blender, will I actually use 8GB let alone 16.

Related to Why would more RAM of same type/speed not work?

1. Why is it important to have the same type of RAM when adding more to a computer?

Having the same type of RAM is crucial because different types of RAM have different specifications and may not be compatible with each other. This can cause compatibility issues and lead to system crashes or errors.

2. Can I add more RAM of the same speed but from a different manufacturer?

In most cases, you can add RAM of the same speed from a different manufacturer. However, it is always recommended to use RAM from the same manufacturer to ensure compatibility and avoid any potential issues.

3. What happens if I mix different speeds of RAM?

If you mix different speeds of RAM, the overall speed of the RAM will be reduced to the lowest speed module. This can result in slower performance and may cause system instability.

4. Can I mix different capacities of RAM?

Yes, you can mix different capacities of RAM. However, it is recommended to use RAM in pairs to take advantage of dual-channel memory and improve performance. Mixing different capacities may also result in reduced performance.

5. How do I know if my computer is compatible with more RAM?

You can check your computer's specifications or consult the manufacturer's website to see the maximum amount of RAM your computer can support. Additionally, you can use online tools or consult with a professional to determine the compatibility of your computer with more RAM.