New RAM bar into my free slot for gaming

In summary, the person is excited to get new RAM for their PC and recommends a website, crucial.com, for finding compatible hardware. They have one free slot for a memory bar and the website suggests an 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 1024Meg x 64 bar. They are unsure about the technical terms and are considering purchasing a different brand from their local computer store. They are also advised to consult their motherboard manual for compatibility.
Medicol
I am excited to tell you that I will get new RAM bar for my PC.
Oh I like this site, http://www.crucial.com/
it can read all hardware thingies on my computer, I now know I have
  • Maximum memory: 16384MB
  • Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
  • *Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
  • 4GB Empty

that means I still have one free slot to insert a memory bar into. It also suggests me one that is compatible
8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 1024Meg x 64

Yet, could anyone explain what PC3-12800, Unbuffered, 1.5V, 1024Megx64 are supposed to mean ?
My local computer store is selling this
Ram PC DDR3 Kingmax 8GB bus 1600 -PC12800
but I am wondering this also matches with my current free slot and motherboard model.
So far so good, yeah yeah. Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Cool! RAM is the cheapest way to get better performance. What are you playing?

Likes Medicol
Greg Bernhardt said:
Cool! RAM is the cheapest way to get better performance. What are you playing?
Crazy Arcade

I urge you to consult your motherboard manual as some boards are very finicky and specific about what sorts will work and in what combinations. If you don't have a motherboard manual, download one from the manufacturer's website.

Congratulations on your new RAM bar! Upgrading your RAM can greatly improve your computer's performance, especially for gaming. I can understand your excitement.

The website you mentioned, Crucial.com, is a great resource for finding compatible RAM for your specific computer. It is important to make sure the RAM you purchase is compatible with your computer's motherboard and that you do not exceed the manufacturer's supported memory.

Now, to answer your question about the numbers and terms associated with the RAM. PC3-12800 refers to the type and speed of the RAM. In this case, it is DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3) with a speed of 12800 MB/s. Unbuffered means that the RAM does not have additional chips for buffering data. 1.5V refers to the voltage required for the RAM to function. 1024Meg x 64 refers to the memory organization, with 1024 megabits (Mb) per chip and 64 chips per module.

It is important to note that the RAM you found at your local computer store, Kingmax 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC12800), should also be compatible with your free slot and motherboard. However, I recommend double checking with Crucial.com or the manufacturer of your motherboard to ensure compatibility.

Overall, it seems like you have done your research and are making a well-informed decision. Happy gaming!

1. How do I know if my free RAM slot is compatible with my new RAM bar?

The best way to ensure compatibility is to check the specifications of your current RAM and compare it to the specifications of the new RAM bar. Specifically, you should check the type (DDR3, DDR4, etc.), speed, and capacity of both the old and new RAM. If they match, then they are compatible.

2. Is adding more RAM bars to my computer necessary for gaming?

It depends on the specific requirements of the game you are playing and the amount of RAM you currently have. If your computer meets the minimum system requirements for the game, then adding more RAM may not be necessary. However, if you frequently experience lag or slow performance while gaming, adding more RAM can help improve your gaming experience.

3. How much of a performance boost can I expect from adding a new RAM bar for gaming?

The performance boost you will see from adding a new RAM bar will vary depending on the specific game and your computer's overall specs. Generally, adding more RAM can help improve loading times, reduce lag, and allow you to run multiple applications or games simultaneously without experiencing a decrease in performance.

4. Can I mix different brands or sizes of RAM bars in my computer?

It is not recommended to mix different brands or sizes of RAM bars in your computer. This can cause compatibility issues and may result in reduced performance or even system crashes. It is best to use RAM bars that are the same brand, speed, and size for optimal performance.

5. Do I need to do anything after installing the new RAM bar into my free slot?

In most cases, the new RAM bar should be recognized and automatically configured by your computer once it is installed. However, it is always a good idea to check your computer's BIOS settings to ensure that the new RAM is recognized and functioning properly. You may also need to manually adjust the RAM speed in the BIOS to match the speed of your new RAM bar.