Why won't my riding mower start after engaging the blades?

• Thread starter dezstir
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a Husqvarna lawn mower shutting down while the blades were engaged. The manual suggests replacing either the starter motor or solenoid, and the speaker rules out the battery as the problem. They recommend checking the safety switch and ground connections, as well as using a voltmeter and wiring diagram. They also suggest checking the gear on the starter and cycling the limit switch. The possibility of the starter being the issue is brought up, but deemed unlikely.
dezstir
While riding my Husqvarna lawn mower (two years old) I decided to shut down. While shutting down I accidently engaged the blades (PTO switch) and then quickly disengaged all while the engine was ramping down speed. I understand that there is a safetyswitch to prevent starting if the blades are engaged, just as there is one under the seat. I do hear a clicking noise from the solenoid. The manual says that either the starter motor or the solenoid should be replaced? Does anyone know how I can determine one from the other in order not to buy both?? Idid charge the battery and can officially rule that out. can you help thank you...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suspect the safety switch stuck based on your post
a simple VOM will check that go on line and find a wireing diagram to see if the safety should be open or closed
also check you ground connections as a bad ground is a very common problem

next see if you can short or jump the solenoid to check the starter

Yeah, use a screwdriver to short across the solenoid. Also try cycling the limit switch if you haven't already. Another thing to check is the gear on the starter that engages the flywheel. If it's stuck in the engaged position it will not allow the starter to spin up.

I doubt your starter is bad. It would be quite a coincidence if it is.

Related to Why won't my riding mower start after engaging the blades?

What are the possible reasons why a ride on mower will not start?

There are several reasons why a ride on mower may not start. The most common reasons include a dead battery, clogged fuel filter, faulty spark plug, and dirty air filter. It is also possible that there is an issue with the starter motor or ignition switch.

How can I troubleshoot a ride on mower that will not start?

First, make sure the battery is charged and the fuel tank is filled. Check the fuel filter and clean or replace it if necessary. Check the spark plug and replace it if it is dirty or damaged. Clean or replace the air filter if needed. If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to consult a professional.

Can a ride on mower not starting be caused by a faulty starter motor?

Yes, a faulty starter motor can prevent a ride on mower from starting. If the starter motor is not functioning properly, it will not be able to turn the engine over and the mower will not start. A professional may need to be consulted to replace the starter motor.

Why is it important to regularly maintain a ride on mower to prevent starting issues?

Regular maintenance of a ride on mower, such as changing the oil, cleaning or replacing filters, and checking the spark plug, can help prevent starting issues. Neglecting to maintain the mower can lead to build-up and clogs that can affect its ability to start and run properly.

Is it safe to try to diagnose and fix a ride on mower that will not start on my own?

It is generally safe to troubleshoot and fix a ride on mower that will not start on your own, as long as you follow proper safety precautions and have a basic understanding of the machine. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it is best to consult a professional.