Why we measure angles with Radians

In summary, radians are the preferred unit of angular measurement in higher sciences and mathematics due to their natural connection to the circle and their convenient use in calculus. They are dimensionless and easily identified with real numbers, making them a more convenient choice than degrees. Additionally, many mathematical formulas use radians as the unit of measurement, simplifying calculations. While degrees may be more familiar, radians provide a more natural and efficient way to measure angles in mathematical contexts.
nDever
Hi guys,

I had been wondering for a while why it is that we use the radian as the unit of angular measurement in higher sciences and mathematics (calculus, physics, engineering) as opposed to the degree.

In reviewing the relationship between the degree and radian, I believe that I have developed a decent understanding of them both and why radians are preferred. Perhaps I can receive some confirmation.

When we measure angles with degrees and radians, we are actually measuring two different quantities.

The degree is a measure of how wide two rays are opened; the turn or rotation of a complete circle.

The radian is a ratio of a portion of a circle's arc length to its radius. If the radius of said circle is 1, then the radian is simply just the arc length. So in essence, when we perform angular measurement with the radian, we are not measuring the rotation around the circle, rather we are measuring the distance around the circle. If the radius of the circle is not 1, we can simply multiply radian by the radius to acquire the correct measurement.

To these ends, it would be more convenient to use radians as opposed to degrees.

Is this correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In a nutshell yes.
A degree has a unit - degrees.
A radian is dimesionless since it is a ratio - arc length/radius

Radians are also the natural choice for expressing angles in calculus. It is the only choice for which the derivative of sin(θ) is cos(θ). Any other unit of measurement would require an extra "fudge factor". It is similar to the reason that e is the "natural" base for logarithms and exponentials.

If we have a small angle x we have
sin(x)~a x
where ~ means approximately equal.
In fact a=sin'(0) in calculus.

This a is used all over the place in many formula so it is convenient to use radians so that a=1 to simplify such formula.

Because they are easily identified with real number , so we can identify sine and cosine as real valued functions , and apply Calculus to them easily .

that is the natural way, a radian measures the length of the arc of the circle. 2pi radians is the length of the circumference of a circle of radius 1 and so on.

Because we have this equation
[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\dpi{150}%20s=r\theta[/URL]

It follows that
[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\dpi{150}%20\theta=2\pi\rightharpoonup%20s=2\pi%20r[/URL]

But if
[URL]http://latex.codecogs.com/gif.latex?\dpi{150}%20\theta=360^o\rightharpoonup%20s=360r[/URL]

Does it make any sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought that it is because radians tie naturally to the circle and don't require any further definitions (that is, C= pi * D or C = 2 * pi * R, and the circle is 2 * pi radians) whereas degrees are a purely arbitrary man-made set of units, so some math flows MUCH more naturally with radians than degrees.

That said, I sure do like degrees better as a measure of an angle. I mean, you tell me 20 degrees and I have a good idea what you're talking about but you tell me .35 radians and I'll likely look at you like your a Martian. :smile:

Related to Why we measure angles with Radians

1. Why do we measure angles with Radians?

Radians are a way to measure angles in a more natural and consistent way. They are based on the length of the radius of a circle, which makes them useful in many mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How is Radian measurement different from degree measurement?

Radians are a unit of measurement that is based on the ratio of the arc length to the radius of a circle, while degrees are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts. Radians provide a more precise and consistent measure of angles, especially when dealing with trigonometric functions.

3. What are the advantages of using Radians over degrees?

Radians are preferred in many scientific and mathematical applications because they provide a more natural and intuitive way of measuring angles. They also make it easier to perform calculations involving angles and trigonometric functions, as they eliminate the need for conversion factors.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Radians?

Radians are used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are particularly useful in calculating circular motion, as well as in the study of waves, oscillations, and vibrations. Radians are also commonly used in computer graphics and animation.

5. How do I convert between Radians and degrees?

To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the degree measure by π/180. To convert from radians to degrees, multiply the radian measure by 180/π. For example, to convert 45 degrees to radians, we would multiply 45 by π/180 to get 0.7854 radians.