Why we don't have several theories

• B
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, the conversation discusses why there are only two main theories of gravity, General Relativity and Newtonian gravity, and why there are not more theories that are as valid as these two. It is explained that these theories work well in different scenarios, with General Relativity working for high speeds and Newtonian gravity working for slower speeds. The conversation also mentions that there are many theories for the combination of gravity and the microworld, but they are not yet verified experimentally. The reason for the lack of multiple valid theories is attributed to the constraints of experimental data.
kent davidge
I wonder why we have actually only two theories of gravity, only one "theory of the microscopical world". There are a lot of brilliant people working on physics. I would expect new theories (that work) appearing like every year... I would expect we having now dozens of theories of gravity, each one as valid as Newtons and Einsteins.

Why this doesn't happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I wonder why we have actually only two theories of gravity, only one "theory of the microscopical world". There are a lot of brilliant people working on physics. I would expect new theories (that work) appearing like every year... I would expect we having now dozens of theories of gravity, each one as valid as Newtons and Einsteins.

Why this doesn't happen?
Why re-invent the wheel? Newton works perfectly on most occasions, and for very high speeds, calculations have to be more careful and precise, that's where Einstein works. A bit more complicated, but it gave us navigation systems.

What we don't know is a theory which combines gravity with the microworld, and in this case we do have a few dozens of theories. All waiting to be announced the one and only theory which gets the Nobel prize.

There are at least 3 different theories of gravity i can think of off the top of my head that aren't exactly GR. We know GR works, and it encompasses a lot of scenarios, so as they say, if the shoe fits... wear it!

If you take away one, or both the conditions of the Levi-Cievta connection, you have two new theories of gravity (Cartan, Weyl). The issue with these two is... they also only pop up in niche scenarios that most physicists won't encounter!

That is what it comes down to, why bother teaching graduate students/undergrad about some niche theory that only pops up in rare scenarios that we can't even verify experimentally? There are loads of theories out there that cover such small areas that unless you're doing a PhD in that area you won't hear about them!

For macroscopic world, Newton and Einstein theories work pretty well. For microscopic world where QM works, we do not have a good one yet. Many theories are postulated e.g. super string theory or loop quantum gravity.

kent davidge said:
I would expect we having now dozens of theories of gravity, each one as valid as Newtons and Einsteins.

What does "as valid" mean to you? To me, Einstein's theory is more valid than Newton's.

Likes russ_watters
kent davidge said:
I wonder why we have actually only two theories of gravity

We don't. We have only one theory of gravity, General Relativity. Newtonian gravity is not a separate theory; it's just an approximation that is derived in GR when speeds are slow compared to the speed of light and gravity is weak.

kent davidge said:
Why this doesn't happen?

Because all of those other theories don't match the experimental data. Experimental data is what constrains us to have a narrow set of theories, and the more experimental data we collect, the narrower the set of theories gets.

I would say Newtonian gravity (and mechanics) are a separate theory from GR/SR if treated as exact. It could have been true that they would never have been found faulty. As it turns out, they remain a highly accurate, approximate theory, whose bounds of utility are derivable from GR/SR.

Mister T said:
What does "as valid" mean to you? To me, Einstein's theory is more valid than Newton's.
So there maybe few theory's valid than Einstein's theory

Related to Why we don't have several theories

1. Why is there only one accepted theory for a particular phenomenon?

The scientific method involves rigorous testing and validation of theories through experiments and observations. This process allows for the identification of the most accurate and reliable explanation for a given phenomenon. Therefore, the accepted theory is the one that has been extensively tested and supported by evidence, and it is constantly refined as new evidence emerges.

2. Can multiple theories coexist for the same phenomenon?

In some cases, there may be multiple competing theories attempting to explain a phenomenon. However, through further experimentation and evidence gathering, one theory will eventually be favored over the others. It is not scientifically sound to have multiple conflicting theories for the same phenomenon.

3. How do scientists choose which theory to accept?

Scientists use the scientific method to test and validate theories. The theory that best explains the available evidence and makes accurate predictions is accepted as the most reliable explanation for a particular phenomenon.

4. Are there any disadvantages to having only one accepted theory?

While it may seem limiting to only have one accepted theory, it actually allows for a more focused and streamlined approach to scientific research. It also allows for more efficient communication and collaboration among scientists.

5. Can new theories still emerge even if there is an accepted one?

Yes, scientific understanding is constantly evolving, and new evidence or advancements in technology can lead to the development of new theories or modifications to existing ones. The accepted theory may be revised or replaced if it can no longer explain the available evidence.