Alternative theories to General Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses various alternative theories to General Relativity, including tensor-scalar gravity, ##f(R)## gravity, teleparallel gravity, metric-affine gauge gravity, Logunov theory, supergravity, emergent gravity, and string theory. The participants also discuss the need for a quantum theory of gravity and propose the idea of time being more general than other spatial coordinates in a four-dimensional manifold. However, this idea is deemed as "complete nonsense" and the conversation ends with a reminder to stick to evidence-based theories and not engage in random speculations.
trees and plants
Hey there.Have you read about the alternative theories proposed by other scientists to General Relativity?So far General Relativity still stays the most accurate.But if we could generalise it?Perhaps try with some new maths like complex differentiable manifolds or Lie groups or another topological space that is differentiable?I do not know and I have not tried so much.The Einstein field equations use mostly the metric tensor which is a function like a tensor field and with its derivatives and the stress energy tensor, the ricci tensor and the scalar curvature.An idea would be to put the corresponding elements of other geometric spaces like ricci tensor to make new equations like the Einstein field equations and see what happens. Another idea would be to make equations not corresponding to the Einstein field equations like an analogy I mean and if they have as a special case the Einstein Field Equations it is ok.What do you say?Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many alternatives to GR. Examples are tensor-scalar gravity (e.g. Brans-Dicke gravity), ##f(R)## gravity, teleparallel gravity, metric-affine gauge gravity (including torsion), Logunov theory, supergravity, emergent gravity (including entropic gravity), ...

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Consequences of Logunov theory show that it is wrong as a theory of gravity I think.But still they have not generalised the theory proposed by Einstein.What are your thoughts on the questions I made in my first post on this thread?

There are many generalizations and variations of GR already proposed and examined in the literature. So far they all have less predictive power than GR because they have more free parameters but don’t fit the existing data any better.

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71, trees and plants and 1 other person
Perhaps a quantum gravity is needed like the case Einstein had with the theories that were inconsistent and then made special relativity.But the proof Einstein made is completely rigorous?I have read about the proof, but two different ways of proving it the one with the gravitational potential and its derivatives and the one with the principle of least action I think, but I do not know if they are completely rigorous.Could someone tell me about it?Thank you.

universe function said:
Perhaps a quantum gravity is needed
Yes, that is indeed needed. That is what string theory and its variations are about.

I thought of something. What if time is more general than the other spatial coordinates in a four-dimensional manifold?I am talking about time that belongs to space,where a spatial coordinate is a special case of this time?Then we have four temporal dimensions which give us a four-dimensional manifold, the three of them vary differently than the fourth one, which has the time dilation. What do you say?We need the right metric tensor for this and the right equations but perhaps it will fit.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
universe function said:
I thought of something. What if time is more general than the other spatial coordinates in a four-dimensional manifold?I am talking about time that belongs to space,where a spatial coordinate is a special case of this time?Then we have four temporal dimensions which give us a four-dimensional manifold, the three of them vary differently than the fourth one, which has the time dilation. What do you say?We need the right metric tensor for this and the right equations but perhaps it will fit.
This is complete nonsense. Please learn the material first before proposing alternatives. This one is particularly bad since it implies that there is no distinction between timelike and spacelike separations and also that there are no light cones and no causal structure to spacetime.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
This is complete nonsense. Please learn the material first before proposing alternatives. This one is particularly bad since it implies that there is no distinction between timelike and spacelike separations and also that there are no light cones and no causal structure to spacetime.
What if the conditions about the light cone are relaxed in the first three dimensions?

universe function said:
What if the conditions about the light cone are relaxed in the first three dimensions?
Then it won’t represent this universe which has light cones. Nor indeed any universe with electromagnetism.

Dale said:
Then it won’t represent this universe which has light cones.
Do you have any evidence for this that justify it?

universe function said:
Do you have any evidence for this that justify it?
Yes Hertz’s experiment, light, radios, WiFi, TV broadcast, cell phones, etc. Anything which satisfies Maxwell’s equations is evidence.

• Haha
Likes Demystifier and lomidrevo
Dale said:
Yes Hertz’s experiment, light, radios, WiFi, TV broadcast, cell phones, etc. Anything which satisfies Maxwell’s equations is evidence.
What if we consider coordinates that generalise those in Maxwell equations?

universe function said:
What if we consider coordinates that generalise those in Maxwell equations?
Maxwell's equations can be expressed in coordinate free terms. More generally, changing coordinates can't change physics. Otherwise I could get different experimental results by telling my experiments "today, I shall use spherical polars".

Likes vanhees71, Dale, PeroK and 1 other person
So every theory or model in physics about gravity should have at least three spatial coordinates after Maxwell's era because Maxwell's equations say it and Maxwell's equations are based on experimental results?

• Sad
Likes Dale
The OP question has been answered. PF threads are not for random vague speculations. Thread closed.

Likes Demystifier, jbriggs444 and vanhees71

1. What is the difference between General Relativity and alternative theories?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity that explains the motion of objects in the presence of massive bodies by describing gravity as the curvature of space and time. Alternative theories propose different explanations for gravity, such as modifying the laws of gravity or introducing new particles or forces.

2. Are there any experimental evidence for alternative theories to General Relativity?

Yes, there have been several experiments and observations that have provided evidence for alternative theories to General Relativity. For example, the observation of gravitational lensing, where light from distant objects is bent by the gravitational pull of massive objects, can be explained by both General Relativity and alternative theories.

3. Can alternative theories to General Relativity explain the same phenomena as General Relativity?

Yes, alternative theories can explain the same phenomena as General Relativity, but they may do so in different ways. For example, some alternative theories may predict slightly different amounts of gravitational lensing or the bending of light in a gravitational field.

4. How do scientists test alternative theories to General Relativity?

Scientists test alternative theories to General Relativity by comparing their predictions to observations and experiments. This can include analyzing the motion of objects in the solar system, the behavior of light in a gravitational field, and the expansion of the universe. The more a theory is able to accurately predict and explain these phenomena, the more likely it is to be accepted by the scientific community.

5. Are there any potential implications of alternative theories to General Relativity?

Yes, there could be potential implications if an alternative theory to General Relativity is proven to be more accurate or complete. This could lead to a better understanding of gravity and the universe, and potentially open up new avenues for research and technology. However, any new theory must still be able to explain all of the phenomena that General Relativity successfully explains in order to be accepted by the scientific community.