Why Water is Colorless: The Science Behind a Clear Liquid | Kinooze

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: DaveIn summary,Water is colourless because it lets visible light pass through it, without absorbing much. This is the worse explanation I have ever seen.
gracy
Here is the link which explains this.But i don't think it is right because according to the explanation given water should be black not colourless.http://kinooze.com/2012/09/09/why-is-water-colourless/I think water reflects light which is not in our visible range,right?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
And what about reflection?color of object all depends on reflection,so water reflects..?
Water is transparent.

Water can have a colour, or rather a slight tint, but I don't want to go into the details. Look at other threads in PF, such as https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-water-blue.133850/

DrClaude said:
This is the worse explanation I have ever seen. Water is colourless because it let's visible light pass through, without absorbing much.

Exactly !

its is noted that purified (distilled) water will have a slight blue tint to it

that last statement on the linked page is just so wrong ...
In case of water, almost all the colours are absorbed. No colour is reflected back, thus no colour reaches our eyes. That is how water appears to be without any colour.

if all the colours were absorbed then yes, it would be black

Dave

davenn said:
Exactly !

its is noted that purified (distilled) water will have a slight blue tint to it

that last statement on the linked page is just so wrong ...if all the colours were absorbed then yes, it would be black

Dave
Ok can you please tell me if white color reflects infrared light also?

What your eye sees as white is a combination of light of wavelengths across the spectrum.

IT does to a better degree than say black

feel the difference in temperature between a white and a black painted car that is in the sun

davenn said:

feel the difference in temperature between a white and a black painted car that is in the sun
So the object which is reflecting most nearly all of the wavelength of visible spectrum (i.e white color object)will reflect infrared light also.right?

gracy said:
Ok can you please tell me if white color reflects infrared light also?
First, infrared is a big part of the electromagnetic spectrum, so there is not a single thing as infrared light. As davenn said, in general withe things will also show greater reflection of IR radiation, especially in the near IR. But you could, at least in principle, have a material that is white but still absorbs all IR radiation.

Likes Orodruin, gracy and davenn
great response :)

DrClaude said:
First, infrared is a big part of the electromagnetic spectrum, so there is not a single thing as infrared light. As davenn said, in general withe things will also show greater reflection of IR radiation, especially in the near IR. But you could, at least in principle, have a material that is white but still absorbs all IR radiation.
But white color object would reflect IR better than any other colored object say red or blue,is it right?

davenn said:

You cannot say this a priori. The color of an object is (mainly) based on its interaction with light in the visible range.

The main part of the Sun's light is in the visible spectrum, which black absorbs and thus becomes warmer. You cannot draw a conclusion about the IR properties solely based on this, you would need a source mainly active in the IR spectrum.

Likes DrClaude
gracy said:
But white color object would reflect IR better than any other colored object say red or blue,is it right?
If its blue, probably, but if it is red, absolutely not! It is already reflecting in the red part of the spectrum, so it is probably also reflecting in the near IR.

Likes gracy
Orodruin said:
You cannot draw a conclusion about the IR properties solely based on this,

True and I didn't :)

DrClaude expanded on the theme well :)

DrClaude said:

davenn said:
True and I didn't :)

DrClaude expanded on the theme well :)

If you ask him to feel a black and white car in the Sun, this seems to imply that this is an argument for white reflecting more of the IR. It is an argument for white reflecting more visible light.

I agree DrClaude wrote it nicely.

gracy said:
Okyou mean red color object reflects red color better than white color .
No, this is not true. White is reflecting all colours, including red.

A red object is as likely to reflect infrared frequencies as a white object. It's all in the specifics of the pigment.

Related to Why Water is Colorless: The Science Behind a Clear Liquid | Kinooze

1. Why is water colorless?

Water is colorless because it has a relatively simple molecular structure with two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom. This structure does not allow for the absorption or reflection of visible light, which is what gives objects their color.

2. How does the molecular structure of water affect its color?

The molecular structure of water, with its symmetrical arrangement of atoms, does not have any specific vibrational frequencies that correspond to visible light wavelengths. This means that water does not absorb or reflect any specific color, resulting in its colorless appearance.

3. Is water always colorless?

In its pure form, water is always colorless. However, impurities and contaminants can give water a slight color. For example, water with high levels of iron may appear slightly yellow or brown, and water with algae blooms may have a green tint.

4. Is there a difference in color between tap water and bottled water?

In terms of color, there is no difference between tap water and bottled water. Both are colorless in their pure form. However, bottled water may have added minerals or chemicals that can give it a slight color, but this is not always the case.

5. Why do some liquids have color while water does not?

The color of a liquid depends on its molecular structure and the presence of certain compounds or impurities. Some liquids, like fruit juices, contain pigments that give them their color. Water, on the other hand, has a simple molecular structure that does not allow for the absorption or reflection of visible light, resulting in its colorless appearance.