Why Is Water Transparent to Visible Light but Absorbs Microwaves?

In summary, water is transparent in the visible range because the energy levels of its molecules do not match the energy of visible light, which is "too energetic" to cause significant absorption. Visible light is not capable of exciting the necessary electronic, vibrational, or rotational transitions in water molecules, which are instead excited by longer and shorter wavelengths.
JFS321
Folks, I am looking for a more intuitive explanation of why water is transparent in the visible range. I am looking for the mechanism -- clearly it is transparent because photons are not absorbed. However, I am clueless as to why water should strongly absorb microwaves due to its polarity but fail to do the same for visible wavelengths. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I have read that visible light is "too energetic", but water clearly absorbs some even higher frequencies, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check out this lemma ?

I did. Am I missing some explanation from this page? I don't see any description answering my question unless I've overlooked it.

There are no modes with energy level differences that can be excited by photons with wavelengths in the visible range. Shorter wavelengths can excite electronic transitions, longer wavelengths do vibration and rotation. These two energy regions don't overlap that much, so most of the visible range goes through fairly undisturbed. There's nothing to overlook.

That's the root of my question. Why would visible light not also rotate water molecules, then?

Let's ask @Orodruin :smile: because All I can think of is that the energy in such photons doesn't match a suitable energy difference in the spectrum of allowed rotation/vibration transitions. There will probably also be other conservation laws at work, not just energy (angular momentum, ..)

JFS321 said:
Why would visible light not also rotate water molecules, then?
Because it does not have the correct frequency to do so. The vibrational and rotational spectrum of water molecules lies in the IR to microwave part of the spectrum. In the other end, the UV part of the spectrum, other scattering processes take over and water becomes opaque for those frequencies too.

Likes BvU

Related to Why Is Water Transparent to Visible Light but Absorbs Microwaves?

1. What is the absorbance spectrum of water?

The absorbance spectrum of water is a graphical representation of the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by water molecules. It shows the amount of light absorbed at different wavelengths, with the highest absorbance occurring in the ultraviolet range.

2. What causes the absorbance spectrum of water?

The absorbance spectrum of water is caused by the presence of certain chemical bonds within the water molecule. These bonds, specifically the O-H bond, are able to absorb light at specific wavelengths, resulting in the characteristic peaks and valleys of the spectrum.

3. Why is the absorbance spectrum of water important?

The absorbance spectrum of water is important for a variety of reasons. It can provide information about the chemical composition and purity of water, and can also be used to identify contaminants or impurities. Additionally, the absorbance spectrum is a crucial factor in many scientific experiments that involve the use of water as a solvent.

4. How is the absorbance spectrum of water measured?

The absorbance spectrum of water is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample at different wavelengths. The results are then plotted on a graph to create the absorbance spectrum.

5. Can the absorbance spectrum of water be affected by external factors?

Yes, the absorbance spectrum of water can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances. Changes in these factors can alter the chemical bonds within the water molecule, resulting in a different absorbance spectrum.