Why was my post deleted on PF?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX for displaying equations on a forum and the process for getting a post approved. It also mentions that original research is not allowed on the forum.
TheCosmologist
I'm not aware of the mathcode here, so forgive me for not posting my work straight away. I simply need to ascertain what code first displays equations.

$a$
[tex]a[/tex]
\(\displaystyle a\)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a LaTeX guide linked below the reply box. You will find you need to refresh the page when your post is the first to use LaTeX on a given page.

Likes TheCosmologist
Ibix said:
There's a LaTeX guide linked below the reply box. You will find you need to refresh the page when your post is the first to use LaTeX on a given page.
... or Ctrl+H on my key board ...
Here is explained how you can type formulas on PF: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes TheCosmologist
I posted my first thread but has disappeared. Says its awaiting approval? Is this to prevent spam and how long does it take to get approved?

Some threads get put in an approval queue until a mentor can look at it. I'm not sure exactly what the criteria are.

I only glanced at your post, but I think you implied it was original research. PF doesn't accept original research (this isn't the place for it), and that may be what's caused it to need approval.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and dlgoff
TheCosmologist said:
I posted my first thread but has disappeared. Says its awaiting approval? Is this to prevent spam and how long does it take to get approved?
Your post has been deleted. We do not allow personaly theory discussions here at PF. Have a nice day.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is the proper way to format math equations?

The proper way to format math equations is to use the appropriate mathematical symbols and notation, as well as to follow the standard conventions for formatting equations. This includes using proper spacing, aligning equations correctly, and using parentheses and brackets to indicate order of operations.

2. How do I format fractions and exponents in math equations?

Fractions can be formatted using the forward slash symbol (/) or the division symbol (÷). Exponents can be formatted using the caret symbol (^) or by using the "sup" tag in HTML (<sup>). For example, 3/4 can be written as 3/4 or as 3÷4, and 23 can be written as 2^3 or as 2<sup>3</sup>.

3. What is the difference between inline and display math equations?

Inline math equations are used within a line of text, while display math equations are used on their own line. Inline equations are usually surrounded by single dollar signs ($), while display equations are surrounded by double dollar signs ($$). Display equations are generally larger and more prominent than inline equations.

4. How do I align multiple equations in a math environment?

To align multiple equations in a math environment, you can use the "align" or "aligned" environment in LaTeX or the "align" attribute in HTML. This allows you to specify alignment points within the equations, such as using an ampersand (&) to align equations at the equal sign (=).

5. Are there any specific rules for formatting math equations in a research paper or publication?

Yes, there are specific rules and guidelines for formatting math equations in research papers and publications. These may vary depending on the style guide being used, such as APA or MLA. It is important to follow these guidelines to ensure consistency and accuracy in your equations.