Newmann-Penrose Spin coefficients for Schwarschild metric

In summary, the Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients are used to describe the spin and rotation of particles in the Schwarschild metric, which is a mathematical model used to describe the curvature of space-time around a non-rotating spherical mass. These coefficients provide a way to calculate the angular momentum and energy of particles in this metric, allowing for a better understanding of the behavior of matter in the presence of a massive object such as a black hole. They play a crucial role in the study of general relativity and have been used in various astrophysical and cosmological applications.
vinicius_linhares
TL;DR Summary
Im having problem with finding the spin coefficients in the NP formalism
I need to use the N-P formalism to apply in my work so I'm trying first to apply in a simple case to understand better. So in this article ( https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.02764 ) which I'm using, they present a null tetrad for the Schwarszchild metric in pg.14 (with accordance with the Chandrasekhar tetrad in "mathematical theory of black holes pg.134-135):
$${e_{(A)}}^\mu=\frac{1}{\sqrt2}\begin{bmatrix}
1/X & 1 & 0 & 0\\
1 & -X & 0 & 0 \\
0&0&1/r&\frac{i}{rsin\theta}\\
0&0&1/r&-\frac{i}{rsin\theta}
\end{bmatrix},\;\;A=1,2,3,4;\;\;\mu=t,r,\phi,\theta;\;\;X=1-\frac{2M}{r}$$
For calculating the spin coefficient (one of them for example): $$\mu=\gamma_{243}=\frac{1}{2}\big(C_{243}+C_{432}-C_{324}\big);\;\;\;{C^D}_{AB}=({e^D}_{\alpha,\beta}-{e^D}_{\beta,\alpha}){e_A}^\alpha {e_B}^\beta$$
$$C_{ABC}=\eta_{AD}{C^D}_{BA}.$$
Then I found the inverse needed above:
$${e^{(A)}}_\mu=\frac{\sqrt2}{2}\begin{bmatrix}
X & 1 & 0 & 0\\
1 & -1/X & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & r & -irsin\theta\\
0 & 0 & r & irsin\theta
\end{bmatrix}.$$
Now when I go for the calculation, I don't get to the mentionated results: $$\mu=-\frac{X}{\sqrt2r}$$.

The books change index meaning throughout the texts and I am very confused. In Chandrasekhar pg.81 there is a tetrad and the inverse and there I can reproduce the results, I just don't know why in the other case I'm getting wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Firstly, it is important to note that the Newmann-Penrose (N-P) formalism is a powerful mathematical tool for studying the properties of spacetime, particularly in relation to black holes. It was developed by Roger Penrose and Ezra T. Newmann in the 1960s and has been widely used in the field of general relativity.

In the context of the Schwarschild metric, the N-P formalism involves the use of a null tetrad, which is a set of four linearly independent vectors that are all null (meaning they have zero length) and orthogonal to each other. This tetrad is used to decompose the spacetime into two null directions and two spacelike directions, allowing for a more manageable analysis of the metric.

In the article you have referenced, the authors have presented a null tetrad for the Schwarschild metric, which is in accordance with the Chandrasekhar tetrad. This tetrad is given by the matrix ${e_{(A)}}^\mu$, where A=1,2,3,4 and $\mu=t,r,\phi,\theta$. It is important to note that the indices A and $\mu$ have different meanings - A corresponds to the tetrad basis vectors, while $\mu$ corresponds to the spacetime coordinates.

To calculate the spin coefficient $\gamma_{243}$, the authors have used the formula: $$\gamma_{243}=\frac{1}{2}\big(C_{243}+C_{432}-C_{324}\big)$$ where $C_{ABC}$ is the N-P curvature coefficient, given by the formula ${C^D}_{AB}=({e^D}_{\alpha,\beta}-{e^D}_{\beta,\alpha}){e_A}^\alpha {e_B}^\beta$. Here, ${e^{(A)}}_\mu$ is the inverse of the tetrad matrix ${e_{(A)}}^\mu$, and is given by the matrix in your question.

It is important to note that the authors have used the Minkowski metric $\eta_{AB}$ (with signature +2) to calculate the N-P curvature coefficient, as shown in the formula $C_{ABC}=\eta_{AD}{C^D}_{BA}$. This is different from the metric used in the Chandrasekhar tetrad, which is the Schwarschild metric (with signature -2). Hence, the results obtained using the

1. What is the Newmann-Penrose formalism?

The Newmann-Penrose formalism is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the properties of spacetime. It utilizes spin coefficients to characterize the curvature of spacetime and is particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of black holes.

2. How are the Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients calculated for the Schwarschild metric?

The Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients for the Schwarschild metric can be calculated using the tetrad formalism, which involves choosing a set of four basis vectors that are orthonormal and aligned with the curvature of spacetime. These basis vectors are then used to calculate the spin coefficients, which describe the rotation and shear of spacetime.

3. What do the Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients tell us about the Schwarschild metric?

The Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients provide information about the geometry and curvature of spacetime in the vicinity of a black hole described by the Schwarschild metric. They can tell us about the strength of gravitational forces and the shape of the event horizon.

4. How do the Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients relate to the properties of black holes?

The Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients are particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of black holes. They can provide information about the spin and mass of a black hole, as well as the strength of its gravitational field. They can also be used to study the formation and evolution of black holes.

5. What are some applications of the Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients for the Schwarschild metric?

The Newmann-Penrose spin coefficients have many applications in the study of black holes and general relativity. They can be used to analyze the behavior of matter and energy in the vicinity of black holes, as well as to study the effects of gravitational waves. They are also important in understanding the dynamics of binary black hole systems.