Why the virtual particle hating?

In summary: While this does happen sometimes, most threads that I've seen, including the one linked to in the first post in this thread, have some sort of explanation of why the common view of virtual particles is incorrect.
andresB
[Mentor's note - this post was moved from this thread and both the title and the tag were assigned as part of moving the post into a new thread - if you disagree with eiether don't yell at @andresB because he didn't do it]

For some reason, PhysicsForum tend to become very hostile for Ops asking about virtual particles. A shame taking into account how nice it is everywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
andresB said:
For some reason, PhysicsForum tend to become very hostile for OPs asking about virtual particles. A shame taking into account how nice it is everywhere else.

Could I ask which other sites you are thinking about?

andresB said:
For some reason, PhysicsForum tend to become very hostile for Ops asking about virtual particles. A shame taking into account how nice it is everywhere else.
[NOTE: I moved this response here from the other thread since it made no sense in the other thread now that the post to which it is responding was moved]

Well, not EVERYWHERE else. We are very hostile to crackpots. You'll notice that this thread was not locked or deleted so no one thinks the OP is a crackpot, just that he hasn't done any research and causing people to have to put in things they've put in many times already, which he would have realized had he done a forum search.

Nugatory said:
Could I ask which other sites you are thinking about?

I don't understand what you are asking.

phinds said:
Well, not EVERYWHERE else. We are very hostile to crackpots. You'll notice that this thread was not locked or deleted so no one thinks the OP is a crackpot, just that he hasn't done any research and causing people to have to put in things they've put in many times already, which he would have realized had he done a forum search.

Yet other questions get asked and answered time after time but only in the topic of virtual particle I've seen hostility toward a non-conflictive OPs.

andresB said:
Yet other questions get asked and answered time after time but only in the topic of virtual particle I've seen hostility toward a non-conflictive OPs.
I think you're missing my point. To take an extreme example, questions about the Flat Earth Theory would elicit hostility (they just wouldn't last long enough for many people to notice it).

And by the way, I'm buying into your whole "hostility" thing here just for the sake of answering you. I don't actually agree that the responses have been hostile, just truthful.

Likes 1oldman2
I could understand that, but in this case I don't see the relation. Unlike flat earth, Virtual particle are a very common misconception even in serious literature

When people ask questions, there is no 'hating'.

The problem starts when they aren't asking questions, but making statements. Wrong statements. It escalates when they continue to make these statements after correction.

Having read a popularization doesn't make you an expert, and it certainly doesn't make you more of an expert than someone who has spent years studying this.

Likes CalcNerd, 1oldman2, mfb and 1 other person
andresB said:
I don't understand what you are asking.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.
The first time through I read "A shame taking into account how nice it is everywhere else" as saying that discussions of virtual particles elsewhere in the Internet are nicer - so I wanted to know where. But the second time through, I see that you were saying that Physics Forums itself is nice everywhere except when it comes to discussions of virtual particles. My mistake... ignore the question, now I understand what you meant.

Vanadium 50 said:
The problem starts when they aren't asking questions, but making statements. Wrong statements. It escalates when they continue to make these statements after correction.

Everyone make statements, even wrong statements. Even staffmembers have been corrected in the past, I'm not sure why is different in this case. They get corrected and that is it.

And the guy was just repeating some very common and easy to learn misconception. I have not seems the hostility toward people stating other misconceptions. And the guy was just told he was wrong without much explanaitions, it is not like that will convince anyone.
Vanadium 50 said:
Having read a popularization doesn't make you an expert, and it certainly doesn't make you more of an expert than someone who has spent years studying this.

Are you saying that the statements like "the Cassimir effect is an evidence of vacuum fluctuations" only happen in popularization books?.

andresB said:
And the guy was just told he was wrong without much explanaitions, it is not like that will convince anyone.

While this does happen sometimes, most threads that I've seen, including the one linked to in the first post in this thread, have some sort of explanation of why the common view of virtual particles is incorrect. If you see a specific post or member who isn't contributing to the thread, feel free to use the Report feature to bring them to the attention of the mentors.

Related to Why the virtual particle hating?

1. Why do virtual particles exist?

Virtual particles are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describe the fluctuations of energy and mass in the vacuum of space. They are necessary to explain certain observed phenomena, such as the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation.

2. How do virtual particles work?

Virtual particles are created spontaneously and exist for a very short period of time before annihilating. They follow the laws of quantum mechanics, which allow them to appear and disappear unpredictably. They also interact with other particles, affecting the overall behavior of the system.

3. Are virtual particles real?

While virtual particles are not directly observable, their effects can be measured and have been confirmed through experiments. They play a crucial role in our understanding of the subatomic world and are considered to be a fundamental part of the fabric of the universe.

4. Do virtual particles violate the laws of conservation of energy and momentum?

No, virtual particles do not violate these laws. They appear as a result of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which allows for temporary violations of energy conservation as long as they are balanced out quickly.

5. Can we harness the energy of virtual particles?

Currently, there is no known way to directly harness the energy of virtual particles. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible in the future through advanced technologies and understanding of quantum mechanics.