Why should an ideal fluid be incompressible?

In summary, an ideal fluid is described as frictionless and incompressible, which makes it easier to analyze mathematically. This is because most materials, including solids, are highly incompressible under normal pressures, and ignoring compressibility simplifies the study of fluid dynamics. This concept is often used in mathematics and science to make analysis possible or easier. As one professor humorously put it, an ideal fluid can be compared to an 18-year-old single malt Scotch whisky.
KingDaniel
Hi,

I read that an ideal fluid needs to be frictionless and incompressible.
Please explain why, especially the incompressible part?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It makes their mathematical treatment substantially easier.

KingDaniel said:
Hi,

I read that an ideal fluid needs to be frictionless and incompressible.
Please explain why, especially the incompressible part?Thanks
The bulk modulus of most materials is very high compared to usual pressures, resulting in insignificant compression of most materials. Solids usually are even more incompressible than liquids. Wiki the bulk modulus to get a feel for the forces involved.

As boneh3ad said, "ideal", in the context of a lot of math and science isn't saying that we wish real fluids behaved like that, it's about making assumptions/simplifications that make analysis easier (or in some cases, that make analysis possible at all). Compressibility dramatically increases the difficulty of fluid dynamics, so if you can ignore it, it makes a lot of sense to do so.

As my PhD advisor often said, an ideal fluid is an 18-year-old, single malt Scotch whisky.

Likes DanielSauza, cjl and jim mcnamara
I think that's a definition I can get behind.

Likes boneh3ad

Related to Why should an ideal fluid be incompressible?

1. Why is incompressibility important in ideal fluids?

Incompressibility is important in ideal fluids because it allows for the fluid to maintain a constant density, which is necessary for accurately predicting and calculating fluid behavior. It also simplifies mathematical equations and makes them easier to solve.

2. How does incompressibility affect fluid flow?

Incompressibility means that the volume of the fluid remains constant, so any changes in pressure or velocity must result in corresponding changes in density. This leads to a direct relationship between pressure and velocity, known as Bernoulli's principle, which is essential for understanding and predicting fluid flow.

3. Can any fluid be considered completely incompressible?

No, in reality, all fluids have some degree of compressibility. However, ideal fluids, which are often used in theoretical and mathematical models, are assumed to be completely incompressible for ease of calculation.

4. How is incompressibility related to the speed of sound in fluids?

The speed of sound in a fluid is directly related to its compressibility. In an incompressible fluid, the speed of sound is infinite, meaning that any changes in pressure or density will propagate instantly throughout the fluid. This is not the case in compressible fluids, where the speed of sound is finite.

5. What happens if an ideal fluid is compressed?

Since ideal fluids are assumed to be completely incompressible, they cannot be compressed. If an ideal fluid experiences a change in pressure or density, it is no longer considered an ideal fluid and may exhibit different behaviors than predicted by ideal fluid theory.