Why Reynolds Stress vanishes on boundary of closed volume?

In summary, the Reynolds stress can be calculated by taking the fluctuating velocity and subtracting the time-averaged velocity. When this equation is integrated over a closed volume, the divergence term on the left becomes zero due to the Reynolds stress vanishing at the boundary. This allows us to prove that the integral of the two terms on the right must balance globally. The concept of the Reynolds stress vanishing at the boundary means that there is no flux of this quantity out of the control volume, making the surface and volume integrals equal to zero.
humphreybogart
The rate of working of the Reynolds Stress can be written as:

upload_2016-7-6_14-54-25.png

where ui is the fluctuating velocity and Ūi is the time-averaged velocity.

It is stated in the textbook that, if we integrate the above equation over a closed volume V, the divergence term on the left integrates to zero since τRij (Reynolds Stress) vanishes on the boundary. What does this mean?

The context is that, with this being zero, the author proves that globally, the integral over the closed volume of the two terms on the right must balance. Maybe if I understood the latter statement, I would understand this last sentence...?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you agree that the Reynolds stresses vanish at the boundary?
If yes, then what is the integral of the divergence of a quantity Q, when Q=0 at the boundary of the domain of integration? The divergence theorem will be helpful here.
Do you agree that the integral of the first term in the equation is zero?

bigfooted said:
Do you agree that the Reynolds stresses vanish at the boundary?
Not really. If we are considering a small control volume within the flow domain, then I don't see why it should 'vanish'. We could specify a whole grid of these control volumes throughout the whole flow domain – the idea that the Reynolds Stress 'vanishes' is confusing to me.

I understand that, if it does vanish on the boundary, then there can be no 'flux' of this quantity out of the control volume, and hence the surface integral would be zero, and from div. theorem, the volume integral would be zero too.

If my above statement is correct, then it's the physical concept of this quantity (or indeed any other) 'vanishing' on the boundary that I don't understand.

Related to Why Reynolds Stress vanishes on boundary of closed volume?

1. Why does Reynolds Stress vanish on the boundary of a closed volume?

The vanishing of Reynolds Stress on the boundary of a closed volume is a result of the no-slip boundary condition. This condition states that fluid particles at the boundary of a closed volume have zero velocity, causing the Reynolds Stress to also be zero.

2. What is Reynolds Stress and why is it important?

Reynolds Stress is a measure of the momentum transfer within a fluid caused by turbulent fluctuations. It is important in fluid dynamics as it helps to understand the behavior of turbulent flows and is used in various mathematical models and simulations.

3. Can Reynolds Stress be negative?

Yes, Reynolds Stress can be negative. This occurs when the turbulent fluctuations cause a net transfer of momentum in the opposite direction compared to the mean flow. It is often seen in boundary layers and wakes.

4. How is Reynolds Stress related to turbulent eddies?

Turbulent eddies play a major role in the generation of Reynolds Stress. As these eddies form and break down, they cause fluctuations in the flow which in turn contribute to the overall Reynolds Stress. Therefore, the presence and behavior of turbulent eddies directly affect the magnitude of Reynolds Stress.

5. What are the implications of Reynolds Stress vanishing on the boundary of a closed volume?

The vanishing of Reynolds Stress on the boundary of a closed volume simplifies the mathematical equations used to model fluid flow and allows for easier calculations. It also helps to better understand the behavior of turbulent flows in closed volumes, which has various applications in engineering and atmospheric sciences.