Why need 4th order stiffness tensor expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses two different expressions for strain-stress relations in 2D and 4th order tensor form. The first form is simpler and more intuitive, but makes additional assumptions about the material's symmetry properties. The second form is more complex but can be used for anisotropic materials. There are 21 independent variables in the 4th order tensor, and the first form has additional assumptions that lead to fewer independent components. Both expressions are in Voigt notation.
Galbi
3.jpg

2.jpg
OK. First of all, I'm novice at Physics so this question may be weird.

Above, there are 2 expressions for strain-stress relations.

Let's assume that all components in the matrix are variables, not zero, not E, nor not G in the first picture.

The first one is written in 2D matrix form, whereas the other one is written in 4th order tensor form although this is a Voigt notation.

Here are my questions:

1. Are these 2 expression same, I mean if the components of each matrix are variables, not zeroes as seen in the picture? That is, can the first form present a general material, like anisotropic?

2. If so, then why do we need to use 4th order tensor expression? The first one is easier to understand. and more intuitive. Why do we learn about the second form?

3. I learned if the material is anisotropic there are 21 independents in the 4th order stiffness tensor. What are the 21 independent variables in the first form? Can you draw circle in the picture or indicate by using notation? I already circled 9 independent components. Where are other 12 components? And why are they independent?

4. Oh, I see the first and second expressions are almost same except shear parts. Can I say that the first one is also Voigt notation?

Thank you very much for reading my question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. No, they are not the same. The first expression has made additional assumptions on the symmetry properties of the material.

2. Answered by 1.

3. You did not circle 9 independent components. There are relations among those elements.

4. Yes, they are both in Voigt notation, but the first one makes additional assumptions about the material.

Thank you very much!

Related to Why need 4th order stiffness tensor expression?

1. Why is it necessary to have a 4th order stiffness tensor expression?

The 4th order stiffness tensor expression is necessary because it helps us understand the mechanical behavior of materials in a more comprehensive and accurate way. By incorporating the effects of both stress and strain, the 4th order tensor allows us to analyze the behavior of materials under various loading conditions and predict their response to external forces.

2. What is the difference between a 2nd and 4th order stiffness tensor?

A 2nd order stiffness tensor only considers the linear relationship between stress and strain, while a 4th order stiffness tensor takes into account the non-linear behavior of materials. This means that the 4th order tensor can capture more complexity and provide a more accurate representation of a material's mechanical behavior.

3. Can we use a 4th order stiffness tensor for all types of materials?

No, a 4th order stiffness tensor is typically used for anisotropic materials, which have different mechanical properties in different directions. For isotropic materials, a 2nd order stiffness tensor is sufficient to describe their mechanical behavior.

4. How is a 4th order stiffness tensor determined for a material?

The 4th order stiffness tensor can be determined experimentally through various testing methods, such as tension, compression, and shear tests. It can also be calculated using theoretical models based on the material's crystal structure and composition.

5. What are the practical applications of using a 4th order stiffness tensor?

The 4th order stiffness tensor has many practical applications in engineering and materials science. It is used to design and analyze structures, predict the behavior of materials under different loading conditions, and develop new materials with specific mechanical properties. It is also essential in fields such as aerospace, automotive, and construction industries for designing and testing materials for various applications.