Why My thread has been closed?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter SecretOfnumber
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a thread that was closed on a forum and the poster questioning why it was closed and the meaning of speculation in relation to the theory of gravity. The conversation also brings up the topic of peer-reviewed publications and their importance in scientific discussions. It is mentioned that the forum is not the place for personal theories and that peer-review is the standard for publications. The conversation ends with one member mentioning the importance of recognizing crackpot ideas and another member deciding to focus on geology instead. The output ends with a link to a website about quack physics and a comment about the thread being closed.
SecretOfnumber
Hi all,

I have started a thread called" Starting line of gravity" Just wondering why it has been closed ? What does speculation means for a subject based on the GR ? does mainstream of science stands against GR and therefore any discussion in this regards is speculation?! what about string , balck hole dark matter and physics itself?!

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you equating the physics being done in peer-reviewed journals with what you have posted in this forum?

Zz.

I don't really get what you have mention Zz, it is simply a question base on my research and reason I am asking you guys is because I am not A physicist! (don have a degree in )? what about people chat on this forum on string theory and dark energy have they done the same?are they speculating? have they per-review their questions?!
And to be honest I have a theory!but as any other things, it has to look scientific before send to Journals, other than that just like last time no one comprehend it not even me!:smile:

Cheers,

Remember, you were the one who made the comparison, not me.

Those things that you considered as speculation were not done out of ignorance of physics. The same can't be said about what you are doing.

This forum is not the place for you to work out your personal theory. This is clearly stated in the rules that you had agreed to.

Zz.

Peer review is not somehow superior to standard publication. This point, ZapperZ, I've made you aware of. Credible and legitimate articles can be in publications, or published, not peer reviewed. You've got to be pretty thick to think because it is peer reviewed it somehow superior to something not peer reviewed.

Also, it seems that many articles are refused because they challenge mainstream thinking. If you aren't able to get your ideas out there before discussion can take place, what is the point of advancing human knowledge and learning to think for yourself?

SecretOfnumber said:
And to be honest I have a theory!
I am quite sure that you do not. This would come together with a lot of knowledge about existing theories of gravity, and your thread does not show this.
A bunch of speculative ideas is not a theory. It is not even a hypothesis.
SecretOfnumber said:
Could two higgs show gravity ?or two electrons? or...?
All massive particles attract each other.

StevieTNZ said:
Peer review is not somehow superior to standard publication.
While there are some good publications without peer review, the ratio of bad publications is significantly lower in peer-reviewed journals.
Peer review is standard for publications.

StevieTNZ said:
Peer review is not somehow superior to standard publication. This point, ZapperZ, I've made you aware of. Credible and legitimate articles can be in publications, or published, not peer reviewed. You've got to be pretty thick to think because it is peer reviewed it somehow superior to something not peer reviewed.

Also, it seems that many articles are refused because they challenge mainstream thinking. If you aren't able to get your ideas out there before discussion can take place, what is the point of advancing human knowledge and learning to think for yourself?

Note that non-peer reviewed articles are not necessarily forbidden here. For example, if you post in the forum "Beyond the Standard Model", then posting a non-peer reviewed article that appears on the ArXiV is something that you can do. This is explained here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178075

All threads in this forum are intended for discussion of the scientific content of well-researched models of physics beyond the Standard Model that have been published in peer-reviewed journals. Due to the speculative nature of the subject, not-yet-published papers uploaded to databases like ArXiv or presented at reputable conferences are also acceptable for discussion. (Note that references to such unreviewed sources remain unacceptable in the other subforums dedicated to more established areas of physics.)

So this allows us to talk about unpublished material in the BtSM forum. However, if the material is crackpot, then it will be removed anyway. I would say that the mentors are very capable in recognizing which paper is crackpot and which is not.

Thanks Guys!
Sorry my mistake,
You are disobediently right, not letting unwise ideas published in your forum, nothing would come out other than anarchy ! you see the most prominent scientists in the course of history were not what they were before they went public and many of them have received nothing from the public but invectives!
@ mfp thanks mate for your positive encouragement! Ill better finish this bottle and get back to my lovely geology and leave the entire universe behind! As -(1/2)!=Vφ .

Cheers:smile:

SecretOfnumber said:
Thanks Guys!
Sorry my mistake,
You are disobediently right, not letting unwise ideas published in your forum, nothing would come out other than anarchy ! you see the most prominent scientists in the course of history were not what they were before they went public and many of them have received nothing from the public but invectives!
@ mfp thanks mate for your positive encouragement! Ill better finish this bottle and get back to my lovely geology and leave the entire universe behind! As -(1/2)!=Vφ .

Cheers:smile:

http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/quack.html

Now you can boast that you have a second thread that has been closed!

Have fun!

Zz.

Related to Why My thread has been closed?

1. Why was my thread closed?

Threads may be closed for a variety of reasons, such as violating forum rules, containing inappropriate content, or being off-topic. The moderators of the forum have the discretion to close threads in order to maintain the quality and relevance of discussions.

2. Can I appeal the closure of my thread?

Yes, you can always reach out to the moderators and ask for an explanation or clarification on why your thread was closed. However, keep in mind that their decision is final and it is important to follow forum rules in order to avoid thread closures in the future.

3. How can I prevent my thread from being closed?

To prevent your thread from being closed, make sure to read and follow the forum rules before posting. Stay on topic, avoid using offensive language or sharing inappropriate content, and engage in respectful discussions with other members.

4. Will my thread be reopened if I edit it?

It depends on the reason why your thread was closed. If it was closed for violating forum rules, editing your post may not make a difference. However, if it was closed for being off-topic or lacking sufficient information, editing your post to comply with the rules may lead to the thread being reopened.

5. Can I start a new thread on the same topic after my previous one was closed?

It is generally not recommended to start a new thread on the same topic after your previous one was closed. This may be seen as a violation of forum rules and could result in further consequences. Instead, try to find a different way to address your topic or issue within the forum's guidelines.