Why must Quantum Computers be reversible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reversibility in quantum computing and its connection to the Second Law of Thermodynamics. It is explained that for an ideal quantum computation, reversibility is necessary to fully utilize the resources available. The Landauer Principle, which states that erasing information is a dissipative process and produces heat, is also mentioned and its experimental verification is cited. It is noted that reversible computing is limited by the Landauer Principle, but it is predicted to become more efficient in the future. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of reversibility in quantum computing and its implications for energy dissipation.
Lovelace
Although I've read many times that quantum computers are reversible, I am unable to find a understandable explanation as to why (this may be because I study Computer Science).
From what I've read, I assume that the answer is linked to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, but I don't know how.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out 'reversible computing' in Wiki...and then follow the link to 'Landauer's principle'.

Try looking in "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang. First of all, reversibility is not always required, look at cluster state computation and the one-way quantum computer. My understanding is that for an ideal quantum computation, to take full advantage of all the resources you have access to, you want to start with N qubits and end with N qubits. If you don't do the computation reversibly, it essentially cost you qubits, which are coupled to your classical input and you lose out on some of the "quantumness" that makes a quantum computer worthwhile in the first place. In real life, it seems that losing out on some of those qubits is just the cost of doing business.

According to March 8, 2012 article in "Nature" (see citation below), the Landauer Principle has finally been experimentally verified.

According to the Nature article, Rolf Landauer in 1961 had "argued that the erasure of information is a dissipative process" and that a "minimal quantity of heat, proportional to the thermal energy and called the Landauer bound, is necessarily produced when a classical bit of information is deleted." Landauer was the first to connect the loss of
known information with a loss of free energy. "A direct consequence of this logically irreversible transformation is that the entropy of the environment increases by a finite amount"

According to an article by Michael P. Frank titled "Reversible Computing", information can never really be destroyed. Every clock cycle (that is, billions of times a second), a typical logic gate in today’s processors “overwrites” its old output with a new one. But, the information in the old output physically cannot be destroyed." ... "All this information, since it cannot be destroyed, is essentially pushed out into the environment, and the energy committed to storing this waste information (entropy) in the environment is, by definition, heat. "

The associated heat dissipation problem means that the "Landauer Principle represents one of the fundamental physical limit of irreversible computation." As noted in the Nature article, until now, the validity of the Landauer Principle "has been repeatedly questioned and its usefulness criticized (FN17–22). From a technological perspective, energy dissipation per logic operation in present-day silicon-based digital circuits is about a factor of 1,000 greater than the ultimate Landauer limit, but is predicted to quickly attain it within the next couple of decades (FN23,24)."

The cited experiment has verified that the ultimate Landauer limit is "real".
See: Antoine Bérut, et al., "Experimental verification of Landauer’s principle linking information and thermodynamics" Nature 483, 187–189 (08 March 2012)
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-landauer-dissipated-memory-erased.html

Unitary transformations are invertible.

A quantum computer requires an input register (I), and output register (O) and a set of extra qubits to serve as a work area (R). Suppose that a quantum calculation acts upon I and R to produce a result, which is then contained in a subset of qubits of I and R. The result could be "copied" to O by means of a set of cNot operations, but then O's state would be entangled with I and R, so, generally speaking, no meaningful result could be read from O. We would need to reverse the calculation on I and R, returning them to their initial states. Only this would leave O in a meaningful state. So the calculation would need to be reversible for this to work, i.e., it would need to be a unitary transformation.

Related to Why must Quantum Computers be reversible?

1. Why is reversibility important in Quantum Computers?

Reversibility is important in Quantum Computers because it allows for the computation process to be reversible, meaning that the output can be traced back to the input. This is crucial for quantum algorithms to work correctly, as they rely on the ability to reverse operations.

2. How does reversibility differ from classical computing?

In classical computing, operations are irreversible which means that the output cannot be traced back to the input. This is because classical computers use binary digits (bits), where information can be lost due to the inability to distinguish between the 0 and 1 state. In contrast, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) which can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for reversible operations.

3. Can quantum computers perform irreversible operations?

Yes, quantum computers can perform irreversible operations, but they must be combined with reversible operations to maintain the overall reversibility of the computation process. This is known as reversible computing and is crucial for quantum algorithms to work correctly.

4. What are the advantages of having a reversible computation process?

The main advantage of having a reversible computation process is that it allows for the ability to undo operations and trace the output back to the input. This is essential for quantum error correction, which is crucial for the reliable operation of quantum computers. Additionally, reversible computing can also reduce energy consumption and increase computational efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to having a reversible computation process?

One limitation of a reversible computation process is that it requires additional resources and circuits to maintain reversibility. This can lead to increased complexity and difficulty in implementing certain quantum algorithms. Additionally, not all classical algorithms can be easily translated into reversible quantum algorithms, which can also be a limitation.