Why Must f(x,y,z) Attain a Maximum and Minimum on a Sphere?

In summary, the function ##f(x,y,z) = x + y - z## must attain both a maximum and a minimum on the sphere ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 81## because any continuous function attains both a maximum and a minimum on a compact set. The set ##K = \{(x,y,z)|g(x,y,z) = 0\}## is defined as the set of points where ##g(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - 81 = 0## and it is shown to be bounded by a closed ball. To demonstrate that ##K## is closed, we can use the definition of a closed set or the
MuIotaTau

Homework Statement

Explain why ##f(x,y,z) = x + y - z## must attain both a maximum and a minimum on the sphere ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 81)##.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that any continuous function attains both a maximum and a minimum on a compact set. I defined the set ##K## as $$K = \{(x,y,z)|g(x,y,z) = 0\}$$ and demonstrated that it is bounded by a closed ball. I then realized, however, that I'm not really sure how to show that the set is closed. I understand the definition of a closed set, but I don't know how to show that it is true in this particular case. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
MuIotaTau said:

Homework Statement

Explain why ##f(x,y,z) = x + y - z## must attain both a maximum and a minimum on the sphere ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 81)##.

Homework Equations

None

I know that any continuous function attains both a maximum and a minimum on a compact set. I defined the set ##K## as $$K = \{(x,y,z)|g(x,y,z) = 0\}$$

What is g?

and demonstrated that it is bounded by a closed ball. I then realized, however, that I'm not really sure how to show that the set is closed. I understand the definition of a closed set, but I don't know how to show that it is true in this particular case. Any hints?

It suffices to show that the sphere is compact. To do that, you can write down a continuous surjection from a compact subset of the plane to the sphere and use the result that the continuous image of a compact space is compact.

MuIotaTau said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

I know that any continuous function attains both a maximum and a minimum on a compact set. I defined the set ##K## as $$K = \{(x,y,z)|g(x,y,z) = 0\}$$ and demonstrated that it is bounded by a closed ball. I then realized, however, that I'm not really sure how to show that the set is closed. I understand the definition of a closed set, but I don't know how to show that it is true in this particular case. Any hints?
What's g(x, y, z)?

Oops, I'm sorry, I defined ##g## as ##g(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^z + z^2 - 81##. So the constraint equation.

We haven't demonstrated that compactness is continuous invariant in class, unfortunately, so I would be required to prove that. If demonstrating the set is closed is more complicated, I'll do it, but I would rather not prove a theorem if it's not strictly necessary.

MuIotaTau said:
Oops, I'm sorry, I defined ##g## as ##g(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^z + z^2 - 81##. So the constraint equation.

We haven't demonstrated that compactness is continuous invariant in class, unfortunately, so I would be required to prove that. If demonstrating the set is closed is more complicated, I'll do it, but I would rather not prove a theorem if it's not strictly necessary.

Proving that the set of points where g(x,y,z)=0 is closed should be easy. Just use the definition of continuity directly or that the inverse image of a closed set is closed for a continuous function. Now use Bolzano-Weierstrass.

Last edited:

Related to Why Must f(x,y,z) Attain a Maximum and Minimum on a Sphere?

What does it mean for a set to be compact?

A set is considered to be compact if it is a closed and bounded set, meaning that it contains all of its limit points and is contained within a finite range of values.

How do you prove that a set is compact?

There are several methods for proving that a set is compact, including the Heine-Borel theorem, sequential compactness, and the definition of compactness using open covers. Each method may be more suitable for certain types of sets and situations.

What is the importance of compactness in mathematics?

Compactness is an important concept in mathematics as it allows us to study and understand infinite sets in a finite manner. It also has many applications in various areas of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and geometry.

Can a set be both open and compact?

No, a set cannot be both open and compact. Open sets are characterized by their ability to contain infinitely many points, while compact sets are characterized by their finiteness. Therefore, a set that is both open and compact would have contradictory properties.

What is the relationship between compactness and continuity?

There is a close relationship between compactness and continuity. In general, continuous functions preserve compactness, meaning that if a set is compact, its image under a continuous function will also be compact. This property is often used in mathematical proofs and constructions.