Why Isn't There More Current in Reverse Diode?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the current flow in a reverse biased diode. The person is asking why there is very little current in the reverse diode and is providing their understanding of how the current flows in this situation. They also mention a small current in a reverse biased diode and ask for clarification on where they are going wrong. The other person responds by explaining the role of the depletion zone and how it affects the current flow in a reverse diode. They also provide a resource for further understanding. The conversation ends with a clarification on the direction of current flow in a diode and the concept of reverse leakage current.
gracy
I am not getting why there can't be (or very negligible )current in reverse diode.According to this image
upload_2014-12-13_15-3-51.png

positive terminal of battery would suck electrons from n-type and pass them to negative terminal of battery.And Negative terminal would provide electrons to p type and from there we can see in image force on electrons is opposite to electric field so electrons can easily pass the barrier and can go to n-type and hence complete the circuit(i.e initially electrons were sucked from n-type and lastly they go towards n-type)So in this way in reverse diode also there is sufficient (in good amount)current available.
Where am i going wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-13_14-55-25.png
    upload_2014-12-13_14-55-25.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to look at what happens in the depletion zone. Not sure. (It's very late and I'm tired.)

Drakkith said:
I think you need to look at what happens in the depletion zone. Not sure. (It's very late and I'm tired.)
I have tried my best to look at all aspects.No ,matter whenever you feel comfortable ,you can answer.Please ..but do explain me this.

With no voltage applied there is a thin depletion region at the junction. This has very few charge carriers so it acts like an insulator preventing current flow.

...Negative terminal would provide electrons to p type

If you inject more electrons into the p-type you reduce the number of holes even more and the depletion region gets wider. You also get a build up of negative charge near the junction that eventually matches the applied voltage preventing further electrons from flowing into the p-type. In this mode the diode behaves a bit like a capacitor.

Perhaps see..
http://www.science-campus.com/engineering/electronics/semiconductor_theory/diode_2.html

One important thing you must know is we say current to flow in diode iff any charge carriers "cross the junction"between p and n.

1)ē are majority in N and holes in P.
2)-ve terminal is connected to P. So it will attract holes from P side . result: holes will move away from junction and get collected in -ve terminal
3)ē will too move away from junction to the +ve terminal there in N side.
4)these two will cause widening of depletion region as majority charge carriers move sideways .
Now ur concept of small current is true . its called reverse leakage current . minority ē in P and minority holes in N will cross junction resulting in current .

1. Why is there a limited amount of current in reverse diodes?

Reverse diodes are designed to allow the flow of current in only one direction, from the anode to the cathode. This is achieved by creating a depletion region in the diode, which acts as a barrier to the flow of current in the reverse direction.

2. Can reverse current damage a diode?

Yes, if a reverse voltage is applied to a diode that exceeds its maximum reverse voltage rating, it can cause the diode to break down and potentially damage it. This is why it is important to use diodes with appropriate voltage ratings for your circuit.

3. How does a reverse current affect the performance of a diode?

A reverse current can cause a diode to dissipate power and generate heat, which can affect its performance. It can also cause the diode to have a higher leakage current, which can impact its overall efficiency and stability.

4. What is the difference between reverse current and forward current in a diode?

Reverse current refers to the flow of current in the opposite direction of the diode's intended flow, while forward current is the desired flow of current from the anode to the cathode. In a diode, the reverse current is typically much smaller than the forward current, as the diode is designed to have a low resistance in the forward direction and a high resistance in the reverse direction.

5. How can I reduce reverse current in a diode?

The best way to reduce reverse current in a diode is to choose a diode with a higher reverse breakdown voltage rating. Additionally, you can use a parallel resistor in your circuit to limit the reverse current. However, it is important to note that a diode will always have some level of reverse current, as it is an inherent characteristic of its design.