Why isn't there an A in the solution for separation of variables in this PDE?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the separation of variables method to find a solution for a given partial differential equation with boundary conditions. The steps for solving the equation are explained, including the choice of the constant -k2, which is necessary to satisfy the boundary conditions. The question of whether or not the constant should be included in the general solution is also addressed.
zezima1

Homework Statement

Given the partial differential equation:

2u/∂x2 = ∂2u/∂t2 , where x[0;L]

Use separation of variables to find the solution that satisfies the boundary conditions:
∂u/∂x (x=0) = ∂u/∂x (x=L) = 0

Homework Equations

The separation of variables method.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have found a way to do the problem. There are just minor things that I want to clear up.
So let's jump into it:

Assuming a solution of the form u(x,y) = X(x)T(t)

gives the equations:

X'' = -k2X
T'' = -k2T

with the solutions:

X = Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx)
T=Ccos(kx)+Dsin(kx)

and with the boundary conditions we must have that;

X'(0)=X'(L)=0

which gives:

-Aksin(0)+Bkcos(0) = 0
=>
Bk=0
which must imply that B=0
From that we get:
-Aksin(kL)=0
=>
kL = (n+½)∏
=>
kn = (n+½)∏/L

So the general solution is:

ƩAcos(knx)T

where sum is from -∞ to ∞.

Is this correct? Now my teacher has uploaded a paper with solutions and in his expression there is no A. Is this just because the A has been absorbed into the constants of T, or shouldn't it be there at all?

Also, I find it kind of weird to be choosing the constant -k2. I do so because I've been told that, but why do you that? Also my teacher notes, that choosing k2 would instead yield a trivial solution? Can anyone explain to me why this is and why you don't just choose a trivial constant c?

Physics news on Phys.org
zezima1 said:
Is this correct? Now my teacher has uploaded a paper with solutions and in his expression there is no A. Is this just because the A has been absorbed into the constants of T, or shouldn't it be there at all?

Also, I find it kind of weird to be choosing the constant -k2. I do so because I've been told that, but why do you that? Also my teacher notes, that choosing k2 would instead yield a trivial solution? Can anyone explain to me why this is and why you don't just choose a trivial constant c?

Looks good to me. Indeed, you can just rescale your Tk function to absorb Ak.

Have you actually done the separation of variables step? If you do, you get into a situation where you have

(something depending on only t) = (something depending on only x).

As this should hold for any values of x and t, both sides of the equation need to be constant. This constant may be positive or negative, but in this case, you wouldn't be able to satisfy the boundary conditions with a positive constant.

Oh right. So if you chose k^2 then you'd get the characteristic equation:
a^2 - k^2 = 0
=>
a=+-k
which would not be a solution involving sines. Is that just what he means?

Related to Why isn't there an A in the solution for separation of variables in this PDE?

What is "Separation of Variables"?

"Separation of Variables" is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations. It involves breaking down a complex equation into simpler equations, each containing only one variable, which can then be solved individually and combined to find the solution to the original equation.

How does "Separation of Variables" work?

The basic idea behind "Separation of Variables" is to assume that the solution to a partial differential equation can be expressed as a product of functions of individual variables. This allows us to separate the equation into simpler equations, each containing only one variable, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

What types of equations can be solved using "Separation of Variables"?

"Separation of Variables" is most commonly used to solve linear partial differential equations, but it can also be applied to some non-linear equations. It is particularly useful for solving equations that have a separable form, where the variables can be isolated and manipulated separately.

What are the advantages of using "Separation of Variables"?

One of the main advantages of "Separation of Variables" is that it can reduce a complex partial differential equation into a set of simpler ordinary differential equations, which are typically easier to solve. This technique can also be applied to a wide range of equations, making it a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.

Are there any limitations to using "Separation of Variables"?

While "Separation of Variables" can be a powerful tool for solving partial differential equations, it is not always possible to apply this technique. It relies on the assumption that the solution can be expressed as a product of functions of individual variables, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not work for non-linear equations or equations with complex boundary conditions.