Why Isn't My Physics Experiment Calculating Distance Correctly?

In summary, the student is having difficulty applying the formulae to the given situation. The formulae are valid, but the student needs to apply them correctly in order to get accurate results.
lucky_boy
PLEASE HELP! Physics coursework!

I have to use the formulas:

v=√2gh

and

t= √((2s) ÷ a)

once i have these i should be able to use 'd=s * t' to find the distance but it does not work.

The experiment is investigating the range of a ball bearing released from an inclined track. The track is on a table 0.84m off the ground and the height from the track to one of the release points (0.6 metres along track) is 0.185m.

This should work but doesn't and any help would be greatfully received. As quickly as possible please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you have applied them correctly, the formulae are valid. Perhaps if you post what you have attempted we could see where you've made a mistake.

v=√2 * 10 * (0.84 + 0.185) = 4.527692569

and

t= √((2 * 0.84) ÷ 10) = 0.40987803

and

d = s * t = 1.855801711

but i have done the experiment and i got an average of 0.5833m

You need to resolve the velocity into verticle and horizontal compontents thus;

[tex]V_{x} = V\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]V_{y} = V\sin\theta[/tex]

Where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the table and your track. The is no acceleration in the horizontal plane so Vx is constant. The acceleration in the vertical plane is equal to g.

Is that ok? I really need this done as quickly as possible, thankyou.

I understand that buut there's nothing wrong with my formulas and numbers so what is going on?

lucky_boy said:
I understand that buut there's nothing wrong with my formulas and numbers so what is going on?
I don't think you so understand. There's nothing wrong with your formulae, but there is something wrong with the way you are applying them.
lucky_boy said:
v=√2 * 10 * (0.84 + 0.185) = 4.527692569
This is not correct, you are calculating the final velocity rather than the intial (after the ramp). By using the next equation as such;
lucky_boy said:
t= √((2 * 0.84) ÷ 10) = 0.40987803
You are assuming that gravity acts parallel to the balls trajectory, which it doesn't it always acts down. I suggest you get your textbook out and read the chapter on projectile motion. Also the above equation assumes intial velcoity = 0, which is not the case here. You will need to use additional formulae.

I'll show you the first few steps to solving this problem.

(1) Find the velocity (v) of ball when it leaves the inclined plane.
(2) Find the angle ([itex]\theta[/itex]) above the horizontal of the inclined plane (using basic trig).
(3) Use [itex]v_{y} = v\sin\theta[/itex] to find the vertical velocity.
(4) Use a kinetmatic equation to calculate the time taken for the ball to hit the floor.

Last edited:
did you take errors into consideration?

like the ball slides instead of roll??

Related to Why Isn't My Physics Experiment Calculating Distance Correctly?

1. What is the purpose of "PLEASE HELP Physics coursework"?

The purpose of "PLEASE HELP Physics coursework" is to request assistance or guidance with a physics coursework assignment. It is a common phrase used by students who are struggling with their coursework and need help from a teacher, tutor, or other resource.

2. How can I get help with my physics coursework?

There are several ways to get help with your physics coursework. You can ask your teacher for clarification or extra support during class or office hours. You can also seek help from a tutor, either in person or online. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can ask for help from other students or experts in the field.

3. What topics are typically covered in physics coursework?

Topics covered in physics coursework can vary depending on the specific course and level. However, some common topics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. Other topics may include astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and nuclear physics.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with my physics coursework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with your physics coursework. In fact, seeking help when you are struggling can be a very effective way to improve your understanding and performance in the subject. It is important to remember that everyone learns at a different pace and in different ways, so asking for help is a normal and necessary part of the learning process.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics coursework?

Improving your understanding of physics coursework takes practice and dedication. Some effective strategies include regularly attending class and actively participating, completing practice problems and assignments, seeking help when needed, and reviewing material regularly. It can also be helpful to form study groups or utilize online resources to supplement your learning.