Why is use of the earth's magnetic field not a feasible means of flight?

In summary, the person is seeking help with two problems. The first one involves finding the charge of a 1 g particle in order for it to remain stationary in a downward-directed electric field of 530N/C. The second question asks why the Earth's magnetic field is not a feasible means of flight. The person is unsure of how to apply the equation E=F/q in the first problem and is considering the relative strength of the Earth's magnetic field in the second problem.
eku_girl83
The people on this forum where so helpful with my last problems that I'm posting again! Here are the two I'm having trouble with:
1) What must be the charge (sign and magnitude) of a 1 g particle for it to remain stationary when placed in a downward-directed electric field of magnitude 530N/C? I know the equation E=F/q, but I'm not sure how to apply it in this case.
2) Why is use of the Earth's magnetic field not a feasible means of flight?

Thanks again :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1, think about what you are trying to do. I assume you mean that the particle is pulled downward by gravity. How much force does gravity apply to the particle? To remain stationary (be in equilibrium) what must be the net force on the particle? Write an equation like f1 + f2 = 0 and solve for the force you don't know. Then use that answer to calculate what the field must be to provide the upward force and choose the sign of the particle charge that will provide an upward force on the particle.

does the Earth's magnetic field have that greater effect on us?? i would have thought not otherwise our watches and electrical equipment would be affected. However the field lines are always represented as going out of the earth. hmmm this is quite a conundrum. I would say that the Earth's magnetic field is not strong enough RELATIVELY to be used for flight.

Related to Why is use of the earth's magnetic field not a feasible means of flight?

What is the earth's magnetic field?

The earth's magnetic field is a force field that surrounds and protects the planet, extending from the core of the earth to outer space. It is generated by the movement of molten iron in the earth's outer core.

Why is the earth's magnetic field not a feasible means of flight?

The earth's magnetic field is not a feasible means of flight because it is not strong enough to lift an object off the ground. The force of the magnetic field is relatively weak compared to the force of gravity, making it insufficient for flight.

Can any animal or object use the earth's magnetic field for flight?

Some animals, such as birds, use the earth's magnetic field for navigation and orientation during migration. However, they do not use it for actual flight, as they still rely on other physical mechanisms, such as flapping wings, to stay airborne.

Could technology be developed to use the earth's magnetic field for flight?

While there have been some attempts to develop technology that harnesses the earth's magnetic field for flight, it is currently not feasible due to the limitations mentioned earlier. Additionally, the complexity and variability of the magnetic field make it difficult to use as a reliable source of propulsion.

Are there any other limitations to using the earth's magnetic field for flight?

In addition to the weak force of the magnetic field, there are other limitations to using it for flight. These include the fact that the magnetic field is not evenly distributed across the planet, making it difficult to maintain a steady flight path, and the potential interference from other magnetic fields, such as those created by human technology.