Why is there an arrow mediating a process in a Feynman diagram?

In summary: Oh yeah. At first when the photon-photon-electron vertex was brought up, it threw me off too. Now that I see it as something shown to prove why it wouldn't make sense, I can see why you'd have a virtual electron mediating the process.
Phys12
In the following Møller scattering process, two electrons enter, exchange a photon and then leave (and if I understand this correctly, we say that both of the electrons emitted a photon).
220px-Bhabha_scattering_t-channel.svg.png

However, in this case:
images.png

We have an electron scattering off a photon, but the interaction happens by an exchange of electron, is that correct? Why is it not the case that photon mediates the interaction between the photon and the electron since photons are the mediators of the EM force?

Attachments

• 220px-Bhabha_scattering_t-channel.svg.png
    220px-Bhabha_scattering_t-channel.svg.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 801
  • images.png
    images.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 932
Physics news on Phys.org
That would violate charge and Lorentz invariance in both vertices.

Also;
Phys12 said:
we say that both of the electrons emitted a photon).
No. The electrons exchanged a (virtual) photon. There is no emission of photons.

Orodruin said:
That would violate charge and Lorentz invariance in both vertices.
Can you please elaborate on how exactly that will violate charge and Lorentz invariance?

Phys12 said:
Can you please elaborate on how exactly that will violate charge and Lorentz invariance?

Take a photon-photon-electron vertex. You could have the time-ordering such that:
  • electron spontaneously is destroyed/annihilated and 2 photons "come out"
  • electron and photon interact and 1 photon comes out
Even as a virtual process (ie. at least one internal line coming out of the vertex), charge is destroyed, which is non-sensical.

The more technical explanation is of course, that there is simply no term in the QED Lagrangian which would generate such diagrams.

protonsarecool said:
Take a photon-photon-electron vertex.

There is no such vertex in the diagrams shown in the OP. The vertices in those diagrams all have two electron lines and one photon line meeting at them, so they are electron-electron-photon vertices, not photon-photon-electron vertices.

protonsarecool said:
there is simply no term in the QED Lagrangian which would generate such diagrams.

The single electron-electron-photon vertex in itself is fine; it is directly generated by the ##i e \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu A_\mu \psi## term in the QED Lagrangian. The issue is that this vertex can only occur if the photon line that comes from it is an internal line, not an external one, because a diagram that had three external lines, two electron and one photon, would violate charge conservation and Lorentz invariance.

PeterDonis said:
There is no such vertex in the diagrams shown in the OP. The vertices in those diagrams all have two electron lines and one photon line meeting at them, so they are electron-electron-photon vertices, not photon-photon-electron vertices.
Right, i have no idea how i could see any such diagrams in the OP. Guess i was tired. OP, please forget that i said anything.

PeterDonis said:
There is no such vertex in the diagrams shown in the OP.
But the OP explicitly asks why those diagrams look the way they do instead of being mediated by a photon propagator. A photon propagator would imply a photon-photon-electron vertex instead of the normal QED vertex. The ”new” vertex would violate charge (net charge one) and Lorentz invariance (half-integer spin). I believe post #5 is completely appropriate for the OP.

Orodruin said:
But the OP explicitly asks why those diagrams look the way they do instead of being mediated by a photon propagator. A photon propagator would imply a photon-photon-electron vertex instead of the normal QED vertex. The ”new” vertex would violate charge (net charge one) and Lorentz invariance (half-integer spin). I believe post #5 is completely appropriate for the OP.
Oh yeah. At first when the photon-photon-electron vertex was brought up, it threw me off too. Now that I see it as something shown to prove why it wouldn't make sense, I can see why you'd have a virtual electron mediating the process.

Related to Why is there an arrow mediating a process in a Feynman diagram?

1. Why is there an arrow in a Feynman diagram?

The arrow in a Feynman diagram represents the direction of the flow of time. The Feynman diagram is a visual representation of a mathematical formula that describes the interaction between particles in a quantum field theory. The direction of time is important in these interactions, and the arrow helps to visualize this aspect.

2. What does the arrow in a Feynman diagram indicate?

The arrow in a Feynman diagram indicates the direction in which the particles are moving in the interaction. The arrow always points from the initial state to the final state of the particles. This helps to show the sequence of events in the interaction.

3. Is the arrow in a Feynman diagram always pointing in the same direction?

No, the direction of the arrow in a Feynman diagram can change depending on the type of interaction being represented. In some interactions, the arrow may point in the opposite direction to show the flow of antimatter particles. In other cases, the arrow may point in both directions to show the exchange of particles.

4. Can the arrow in a Feynman diagram be ignored?

No, the arrow in a Feynman diagram is an important part of the visual representation and should not be ignored. It helps to show the direction of time and the sequence of events in the interaction. Ignoring the arrow can lead to a misinterpretation of the diagram and the mathematical formula it represents.

5. Does the arrow in a Feynman diagram affect the outcome of the interaction?

No, the arrow in a Feynman diagram does not affect the outcome of the interaction. It is simply a visual aid to help understand and interpret the mathematical formula. The direction of the arrow does not change the actual physical process that is occurring.