About the repulsive force between two electrons

In summary: It's a common misconception, unfortunately, and one that is not actually supported by the physics.Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe by Brian Clegg is a good book to start with if you want to learn more about the physics behind electromagnetic repulsion. It's written in a way that is easy to understand, and it covers the topic in detail.
intothefire
hi,

I have read that the process of repulsion between two similar charges, such as two electrons, is mediated by the exchange of a photon. This photon somehow merges with the nearby electron and somehow directs the electron to move in the opposite direction. Is this correct?

I don't quite understand how this might work though. If the exchange of photons is the only method by which information is exchanged between the two electrons which represents the phenomenon of electromagnetic repulsion; then how does the emitted photon from the one electron know in which direction and speed to travel to order to intercept the neighboring approaching second electron?

Is there something implicit here about the fabric of spacetime that tells both electrons where each one is positioned in relation to the other electron? Something related to loop quantum gravity perhaps or some similar theory?

thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
intothefire said:
Is this correct?

No.

intothefire said:
I have read

Where? Please give a specific reference.

intothefire said:
Is this correct?

It's not really specific enough to tell. The actual physics is (a) much more complicated, and (b) not expressed in vague ordinary language, but in precise math.

We have an Insights article that might be helpful in clarifying the actual physics as well as describing common misconceptions about it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceptions-virtual-particles/

This article from the Usenet Physics FAQ might also be helpful:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/virtual_particles.html

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Where? Please give a specific reference.
It's not really specific enough to tell. The actual physics is (a) much more complicated, and (b) not expressed in vague ordinary language, but in precise math.

We have an Insights article that might be helpful in clarifying the actual physics as well as describing common misconceptions about it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceptions-virtual-particles/

This article from the Usenet Physics FAQ might also be helpful:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/virtual_particles.html
There were 2 or 3 sentences about it in a popular science book called: Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe by Brian Clegg

intothefire said:
There were 2 or 3 sentences about it in a popular science book called: Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe by Brian Clegg

Pop science books are generally not valid sources for PF discussion, and you should be very, very careful about taking what you read in them as giving you actual understanding of the science. I would suggest the links I gave as a much better starting point for building your understanding.

Okay, I will study them; thank you

intothefire said:
Interesting that people buy books, which title suggests that the authors writes about something we definitely do not know anything about at all. ;-)).

Likes vortextor
vanhees71 said:
Interesting that people buy books, which title suggests that the authors writes about something we definitely do not know anything about at all. ;-)).

Usually I try to borrow them from my public library first. After I read them, if I feel that the book is high quality then I will buy a used copy online cheaply (usually). I just returned it to the library, but this topic was occupying my thoughts because I wondered most of my life how this worked physically.

This isn't the first popular science book that I read that described electromagnetic repulsion in terms of an exchange of photons between similar charges.

1. What is the repulsive force between two electrons?

The repulsive force between two electrons is a fundamental force of nature that describes the tendency of two electrons to push away from each other. This force is caused by the negative charges of the electrons, which repel each other due to their like charges.

2. How does the repulsive force between two electrons affect the behavior of matter?

The repulsive force between two electrons is responsible for the stability and structure of matter. Without this force, electrons would be able to come much closer to each other, causing atoms to collapse and matter to disintegrate.

3. What factors influence the strength of the repulsive force between two electrons?

The strength of the repulsive force between two electrons is influenced by the distance between the two electrons and the amount of charge each electron possesses. The closer the electrons are and the greater their charge, the stronger the repulsive force will be.

4. How does the repulsive force between two electrons relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons can occupy the same quantum state within an atom. This is due to the repulsive force between two electrons, which prevents them from occupying the same space. This principle is essential for understanding the electronic structure of atoms and the periodic table.

5. Can the repulsive force between two electrons be overcome?

In certain situations, such as in high-energy collisions, the repulsive force between two electrons can be overcome. This can result in the creation of new particles or the conversion of energy into matter. However, in everyday interactions, the repulsive force between electrons is a fundamental force that cannot be overcome.