Why is there a dr in the second term of the gravitational force equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for the gravitational force and displacement in terms of unit vectors. The question is raised about the presence of a "dr" term in the second bracket, which is deemed to be a mistake as the dot product of the unit vectors is equal to zero. The solution is not affected by this mistake.
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

problems_MIT_RELATE_htmlwiki_Unit8_Module3_files_SpaceShuttleSol.png

Homework Equations

I know that
##F_g=(G*m_e*m)/r^2)##
##dr⃗ =drr_1+rdθθ_1.##

##F⃗ g⋅dr⃗ =−(Gm_em/r^2)*r_1⋅(drr_1+rdθθ_1)##

##F⃗ g⋅dr⃗ =−(Gm_em/r^2)(drr_1⋅r_1+r*dr*dθ*θ_1⋅r_1)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't understand why there is a dr in the 2nd term in the second bracket.
I have used r_1 and ##theta_1## for unit vectors.
I know how to proceed from this step (##r_1.r_1=1## whereas ##theta_1.r_1=0(perpendicular)##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
REVIANNA said:
I don't understand why there is a dr in the 2nd term in the second bracket.
There should not be a ##dr## there. It looks like a mistake.
In any case it doesn't matter, as the term is zero because the dot product is.

Likes REVIANNA
andrewkirk said:
In any case it doesn't matter, as the term is zero because the dot product is.

yes as unit vector θ and unit vector r are perpendicular .
thanks.

Related to Why is there a dr in the second term of the gravitational force equation?

What is vector distribution?

Vector distribution refers to the spread and movement of vectors, which are organisms that can transmit diseases or parasites from one host to another. These can include insects, arthropods, and other carriers that can transfer pathogens.

Why is vector distribution important?

Vector distribution is important because it affects the spread and control of diseases. By understanding how vectors move and distribute, scientists can better predict and prevent outbreaks of diseases.

What factors influence vector distribution?

There are several factors that can influence vector distribution, including climate, habitat availability, human behavior, and vector control measures. For example, warmer temperatures can increase the breeding and activity of vectors, while deforestation can lead to a decrease in habitat for certain vectors.

How is vector distribution studied?

Vector distribution is studied through various methods, including field surveys, laboratory experiments, and mathematical modeling. Field surveys involve collecting data on vector populations and their movements, while laboratory experiments can help researchers understand the behavior and ecology of vectors. Mathematical modeling uses computer simulations to predict the spread of diseases based on factors such as vector distribution.

What are the implications of vector distribution for public health?

Vector distribution has significant implications for public health, as it can impact the spread of diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, and Zika virus. Understanding and monitoring vector distribution is crucial for developing effective prevention and control strategies to protect human health.