Why is the work done by an ideal gas the area under a PV diagram?

In summary, the work done by a gas is represented by the area under a PV diagram because pressure is directly related to work done per unit volume change. This can be seen by rearranging the equation dW=P*dV to show that pressure is the amount of work done per unit volume change. This is similar to how velocity is related to displacement on a velocity-time graph. It is also important to note that this is true under the assumption of quasistatic conditions and that the units of P x V, v x t, F x d, and V x Q all result in energy units.
goodcow
Could someone please prove why the work done by a gas is the area under a [itex] PV [/itex] diagram?

That is, I know that [itex] dW=P \text{ }dV[/itex], but why is that true physically? I realize that [itex] W=f \cdot d \text{ and } F=P \cdot A [/itex] .Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have more or less done it for yourself!
W = P x V...P = F/A and V = A x d
W = F/A x A/d ...= F x d

Well yes, I know that the equation is true, but I was wondering why it's physically true. For example, the area under a velocity-time graph is displacement. Why is the area under the graph the work done?

It is because the graph is of P against V so the area under this graph must be the PxV quantity...which is Fxd = work done.

Oh...wow I'm silly. Thanks!

you are in good company!

Another way to say all this is that, you understand the area under the v vs. t curve is displacement x because you think of v as dx/dt. Thus, to understand why the area under a P vs. V curve is work done, you simply need to think of pressure as dW/dV, i.e., pressure is the amount of work done per unit volume change. In other words, instead of thinking of work as something that comes from pressure, think of pressure as a concept that stems directly from work. That is very much what pressure is-- the concept of the amount of work done per volume change. Indeed, there are situations where the easiest way to calculate pressure P is to first calculate the work W as a function of V and take dW/dV.

just remember that this is true under the assumption of quasistatic conditions, which is almost static but notquite.
think about a situation where the internal pressure is much higher than the external presssure. how do you calculate work then?

thafeera

Another little tip: look at the units of the quantities you are multiplying.
P x V units are Pa x m^3 = (N/m^2) x m^3 = Nm = energy units
v x t units are ms^-1 x s = m = distance units
F x e units N x m = energy units
V x Q units are volts x charge = V x C = (J/C) x C = J = energy units

Related to Why is the work done by an ideal gas the area under a PV diagram?

What is the definition of work done by an ideal gas?

The work done by an ideal gas is the energy transferred to or from the gas due to a change in its volume while it is kept at a constant pressure.

How is work done by an ideal gas calculated?

The work done by an ideal gas can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

What factors affect the work done by an ideal gas?

The work done by an ideal gas is affected by the pressure and the change in volume. It also depends on the type of process the gas undergoes, such as isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric.

What is the difference between work done by an ideal gas and work done by a non-ideal gas?

Work done by an ideal gas assumes that the gas obeys the ideal gas law, while work done by a non-ideal gas takes into account any deviations from the ideal gas behavior, such as intermolecular forces and molecular size.

Can the work done by an ideal gas be negative?

Yes, the work done by an ideal gas can be negative if the gas expands against an external force. This indicates that the gas is losing energy and performing work on the surroundings.