Why is the wave equation a second order differential?

In summary: This shows that the wave equation is a model for waves, and that there are first order equations that admit wave-like behavior.
thegirl
I don't know if this is a silly question? Am I missing simple math? How does a wave depending on amplitude and frequency make it's equation a second order differential equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually it's the other way around, every system which is described by a second order type differential equation in space and time supports the propagation of waves.

I don't know much about second order differential equations, only about the equations for harmonic oscillators. So if any second order diff. eq describes a system that supports wave propagation, that means that the solution or solutions to any second order differential equation must have a bit that's sinusoidal right?

blue_leaf77 said:
Actually it's the other way around, every system which is described by a second order type differential equation in space and time supports the propagation of waves.

More correctly, shouldn't it be any system described by a hyperbolic differential equation supports wave propagation?

blue_leaf77 said:
Mh, I'd say, it should be a hyperbolic partial differential equation, because, e.g., the Laplace equation doesn't describe waves. The sign pattern in the corresponding differential operator of the linear case is important, i.e., for waves it should be a D'Alembertian rather than a Laplacian to lead to wave propgation solutions.

Thanks boneh3ad, I missed the requirement on the coefficients.

Actually what we call usually "wave equation" it has that form because we make a lot of approximations. You can have much more complicated equations (with higher order differential terms) describing waves that do not satisfy various approximations implicit in the simple wave equation.
So there is nothing special about second order. Is maybe the lowest order that allow for a wave solution.
Same as there is nothing special about a lot of "laws" being linear. Just the first order approximation,

nasu said:
because we make a lot of approximations
For mechanical waves, may be. But Maxwell equations are no approximation.

I did not see Maxwell's equations mentioned in the OP. Or EM waves only.
But this is a good (interesting) point.

I mean the EM wave equation is build from Maxwell's equations.
nasu said:
But this is a good (interesting) point.
I can agree with you, this shows that the EM waves are an example of a truly sinusiodal disturbance in nature provided they propagate in free space.

nasu said:
Actually what we call usually "wave equation" it has that form because we make a lot of approximations.

Well, not really. What we call the wave equation has that form because it is a simple model of a wave (or really a pair of waves) and is readily solvable and a good analog for all other hyperbolic equations. We certainly make a lot of approximations to other equations to make it resemble the wave equation more closely, but the wave equation itself is not an approximation. It's really just more of a model equation for others.

nasu said:
Is maybe the lowest order that allow for a wave solution.

No, there are first order equations that admit wave-like behavior. The wave equation itself can be factored into two first-order advection equations (below) which represent an left-running and right-running wave individually.

[tex]\dfrac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} \pm c\dfrac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

Related to Why is the wave equation a second order differential?

1. Why is the wave equation a second order differential?

The wave equation is a second order differential equation because it represents the relationship between the second derivative of a wave (which describes the acceleration of the wave) and the wave itself. This relationship is necessary to accurately model the behavior of many types of waves, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation can be derived from the basic principles of wave motion, such as the conservation of energy and the relationship between velocity, frequency, and wavelength. It can also be derived using mathematical methods, such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics.

3. What are the applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to model many types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. It is also used in the study of vibrations, oscillations, and other phenomena.

4. Why is the wave equation important in science?

The wave equation is important in science because it provides a fundamental understanding of how waves behave and interact with their surroundings. It is also used to solve many practical problems, such as predicting the behavior of seismic waves in earthquakes or designing antennas for communication systems.

5. How is the wave equation related to other equations in physics?

The wave equation is closely related to other equations in physics, such as the heat equation and the diffusion equation. These equations all describe the behavior of physical quantities over time and space, and can often be solved using similar mathematical techniques.