Pendulum Period on Earth and Mars

In summary, a pendulum with a period of 4.50s on Earth would have a period of 73s on Mars, where the acceleration of gravity is about 0.37 times that on Earth. The length of the pendulum is not necessary to calculate the period on Mars, as it is inversely proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity. The mistake made in the conversation was an error in calculations, and the correct formula for finding the period on Mars is T = 2π(L/0.37g)^0.5.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A pendulum has a period of 4.50s on Earth. What is its period on Mars, where the acceleration of gravity is about 0.37 that on Earth? (2 sig figs)

Homework Equations

T= 2Pi(L/g)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution

first must solve for the length on earth

L = g(T/2Pi)^2 = (9.8m/s^2)(4.5s/2Pi)^2 =489.7m

now that i know the length i can take the same pendulum to Mars and solve for T on mars

T= 2Pi(L/.37g)^.5 = 2Pi(489.7m/(.37*9.8m/s^2))^.5 = 73 s

mastering physics says I am wrong. What did I miss?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your length is wrong. Check the units.

However you don't need the length at all. It's enough to calculate the ratio of the two periods, knowing the ratio of the two values of gravity.

g is m/s^2 T is s and since its being squared it becomes s^2 which cancels with the 1/s^2 in g and leaves m. unless i am mistaken?

It isn't necessary to solve for the length. Saying that T= 2Pi(L/g)^.5 means that the period is inversely proportional to the square root of g. It g on Mars is 0.37 g on Earth then the period, on Mars, of the same pendulum is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{0.37}}[/tex] times the period on earth.

Likes 1 person
I thought you may have that value in cm, it would be reasonable.

Then check your calculations. 4.5 divided by 2pi is less than one. When you square it is still less than one.
How can you get over 400 when multiplied by 9.8?

It was a calculator mistake on my part, sorry guys. In your way of doing it can you ignore 2 , Pi and L because they don't change?

If you write the formula both for TMoon and TEarth and divide them, everything cancels but the g-s.

ehild

Related to Pendulum Period on Earth and Mars

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that can freely swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

How does a pendulum work on Earth?

On Earth, a pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth. The length of the pendulum and the force of gravity determine the speed and period of the pendulum's swing.

How does a pendulum work on Mars?

On Mars, a pendulum would work in a similar way to Earth, but with some differences due to the lower gravity on Mars. The pendulum's period would be longer and the swing would be slower because of the weaker gravitational force.

What factors affect the swing of a pendulum on Earth and Mars?

The main factors that affect the swing of a pendulum on both Earth and Mars are the length of the pendulum and the strength of gravity. Other factors, such as air resistance and the initial angle of the pendulum, can also have an impact on the pendulum's movement.

How is a pendulum used in science?

Pendulums are commonly used in science experiments to demonstrate concepts such as gravity, potential and kinetic energy, and periodic motion. They are also used in timekeeping devices, such as clocks and metronomes.