Why is the Sum of Exponentially Distributed Variables Exponentially Distributed?

• Thread starter A-fil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, we use convolutions and the expected values of exponentially and geometrically distributed stochastic variables to prove that the sum of independent exponentially distributed variables with a geometrically distributed variable as the number of terms is also exponentially distributed with a parameter of pλ.
A-fil

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2, … be independent exponentially distributed stochastic variables with parameter λ. For the sum Y = X1 + X2 + … + XN, where N is a geometrically distributed stochastic variable with parameter p, show that Y is exponentially distributed with parameter pλ.

Homework Equations

The expected value of exponentially distributed stochastic variables is 1/λ.
The expected value of geometrically distributed stochastic variables is 1/p.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don’t understand is mainly why Y would be exponentially distributed. According to my notes, for N constant, Y would be Erlang(N,λ).

However, if we assume that the sum of exponentially distributed variables is exponentially distributed (how to prove this?), one should be able to calculate the expected value for this distribution as:
[tex]E(Y)=E(\sum_{i=1}^{N}X_{i})=E(\sum_{i=1}^{N} \underbrace{E(X_{i})}_{1/λ} ) =\frac{E(N)}{λ}=\frac{1}{pλ}[/tex]
Implying that Y~Exp(pλ). Is this correct?

So, I would appreciate any comments or hints hints that I could get from anyone here. I got the problem in Japanese and my Japanese isn't perfect so if the problem seems incorrect, feel free to point that out.

My first time posting here so I hope that I'm not breaking any rules.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi A-fil! :smile:

Did you see convolutions? That's how to calculate the distribution of a sum...

A-fil said:

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2, … be independent exponentially distributed stochastic variables with parameter λ. For the sum Y = X1 + X2 + … + XN, where N is a geometrically distributed stochastic variable with parameter p, show that Y is exponentially distributed with parameter pλ.

Homework Equations

The expected value of exponentially distributed stochastic variables is 1/λ.
The expected value of geometrically distributed stochastic variables is 1/p.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don’t understand is mainly why Y would be exponentially distributed. According to my notes, for N constant, Y would be Erlang(N,λ).

However, if we assume that the sum of exponentially distributed variables is exponentially distributed (how to prove this?), one should be able to calculate the expected value for this distribution as:
[tex]E(Y)=E(\sum_{i=1}^{N}X_{i})=E(\sum_{i=1}^{N} \underbrace{E(X_{i})}_{1/λ} ) =\frac{E(N)}{λ}=\frac{1}{pλ}[/tex]
Implying that Y~Exp(pλ). Is this correct?

So, I would appreciate any comments or hints hints that I could get from anyone here. I got the problem in Japanese and my Japanese isn't perfect so if the problem seems incorrect, feel free to point that out.

My first time posting here so I hope that I'm not breaking any rules.

You are correct that for fixed N the sum is Erlang, so that P{Y in (y,y + dy)|N = n} = f_n(y)*dy, where f_n is the n-Erlang density. However, you want to get P{Y in (y,y+dy)}. Do you see it now?

RGV

Thanks both of you for your help! I think I got it, but just to make sure (and for others who might have gotten stuck on something similar) I'll write it down.

[tex]f(y)=P(Y \in (y,y+dy)) = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} P(Y \in (y,y+dy)|N=i)P(N=i)[/tex]

We know that
[tex]P(N=k)=(1-p)^{k-1}p[/tex]

To calculate the conditional probability one can use convultion, thus yielding:
[tex]P(Y \in (y,y+dy)|N=k) = \frac{(\lambda y)^{k-1}}{(k-1)!}\lambda e^{-\lambda y}[/tex]

This yields

[tex]f(y)=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{(\lambda y)^{k-1}}{(k-1)!}\lambda e^{-\lambda y}*(1-p)^{k-1}p=p \lambda e^{-\lambda y} \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{(\lambda y - \lambda y p)^{i-1}}{(i-1)!}=p \lambda e^{-\lambda y} \sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\lambda y - \lambda y p)^{i}}{i!}=p \lambda e^{-\lambda y} e^{\lambda y - \lambda y p}=p \lambda e^{-p \lambda y} [/tex]

Thus, Y~exp(pλ)
Q.E.D.

Related to Why is the Sum of Exponentially Distributed Variables Exponentially Distributed?

What is a statistical question?

A statistical question is a question that can be answered by collecting and analyzing data. It involves variables that can be measured or observed and seeks to understand the relationship between these variables.

What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing data using measures such as mean, median, and standard deviation. Inferential statistics involves making predictions and inferences about a population based on a sample of data.

What is the importance of statistical analysis?

Statistical analysis helps us to make sense of large amounts of data and to understand patterns and relationships between variables. It also allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on data rather than relying on intuition or guesswork.

What is the role of probability in statistics?

Probability is a key component of statistics as it helps us to understand the likelihood of certain outcomes or events occurring. It allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the likelihood of different outcomes.

What are some common types of statistical analyses?

Some common types of statistical analyses include hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and ANOVA (analysis of variance). These techniques are used to test relationships between variables, determine the significance of results, and make predictions based on data.