Why is the Signal from a Discrete Fourier Transform considered periodic?

In summary, the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) is a mathematical tool used to decompose a finite set of samples from a time-domain signal into a set of sinusoids. These sinusoids are N points in length and when summed together, they form the original time-domain signal. The DFT assumes periodic extension, which results in a periodic frequency spectrum. The DFT can be reversed to regenerate the original set of samples, but not necessarily the original time-domain signal. To fully understand the DFT, it is recommended to first understand the normal Fourier transform and to explore topics such as cutoff frequency, aliasing, and folding. Additionally, the convolution theorem and the Fourier transform of a comb function can also aid in understanding
Natalie Johnson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_Fourier_transform

Why is the signal obtained from a DFT periodic?

The time signal x[n] is finite and the number of sinusoids being correlated with it is finite, yet its said the frequency spectrum obtained after the DFT is periodic. I've also read the phrase
"X[k] (the frequency coefficients form the DFT) can be interpreted as Fourier coefficients of the periodic continuation of the signal x[n]."
Where in the equation are the infinite amount of frequency coefficients constructed?

My Guess - The N point time signal is decomposed into a set number of sinusoids (frequencies present in the time domain signal), each of these sinusoids is N points in length. Since all these sinusoids sum together to obtain the time domain signal and sinusoids are periodic, the time signal composed from them can be considered periodic... Probably wrong

Please advise

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Natalie Johnson said:
Why is the signal obtained from a DFT periodic?
See 4.4 in your own link !
Natalie Johnson said:
Where in the equation are the infinite amount of frequency coefficients constructed?
Nowhere. But a periodic discrete signal can manage with a finite set.

Interesting topics: cutoff frequency, aliasing, folding, etc.; MIT text
Advice: try to fully understand the normal Fourier transform -- then it's a small step to DFT

BvU said:
See 4.4 in your own link !
Nowhere. But a periodic discrete signal can manage with a finite set.

Interesting topics: cutoff frequency, aliasing, folding, etc.; MIT text
Advice: try to fully understand the normal Fourier transform -- then it's a small step to DFT
Is the mathematical definition in that section comparable to what I have written in my guess explanation? Because section 4.4 only shows the frequency spectrum is periodic...

Also, that mathematical explanation in section 4.4, it has k+N ... but the values of k only go from 0 to N/2 (0 to nyquist frequency), so is this including negative frequencies?

The book I have been reading is 'DSP for Engineers and Scientists' and its pretty good but it didn't explain why its periodic and went straight into time domain aliasing

Last edited:
The DFT works with a set of samples from a time-domain signal, not with a time-domain signal. The sampling process can't distinguish signals with a frequency higher than the sampling frequency divided by 2 from signals with a higher frequency (the aliasing effect).

The set of samples has a finite size and the DFT assumes periodic extension -- that establishes the lowest frequency in the DFT that can be distinguished. The DFT can be reversed to regenerate the original set of samples, not necessarily the original time-domain signal (unless the frequencies in that original time-domain signal are limited in range from the aforementioned lowest to sampling frequency divided by 2).

I can't really follow your 'guess'

But you can follow my advice: check out the convolution theorem and study the FT of a comb function.​

Likes jasonRF
(my post #4 missed a response to some later edits in your post #3)

Natalie Johnson said:
Because section 4.4 only shows the frequency spectrum is periodic..
Good point (my oversight o:)). The periodicity of ##x_n## is already mentioned under 2. Motivation and is obvious from ##x_{n+N} = x_n##.

Natalie Johnson said:
Also, that mathematical explanation in section 4.4, it has k+N ... but the values of k only go from 0 to N/2
I clearly see 0 and N-1 as limits for ##n##, not ##k## o_O !? Where do you see k go from 0 to N/2 ? In some other context, perhaps ?

Natalie Johnson said:
DSP for Engineers and Scientists
My google can't find a book with that title ?

Its from dsp guide.com. Its got massive amazon reviews on the usa site and from chapter 8 onwards its really relevant to all this. The author gives the pdf for free.

The frequency domain goes from 0 to N/2 but the author says with neg frequencies its double this and is then periodic.

I think the limits are for both k and n

Related to Why is the Signal from a Discrete Fourier Transform considered periodic?

1. Why is the signal from a Discrete Fourier Transform considered periodic?

The signal from a Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) is considered periodic because it is a representation of a finite, discrete time-domain signal. A periodic signal is one that repeats itself after a certain time interval, and the DFT captures this periodicity by representing the signal as a sum of sinusoidal components with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How does the periodicity of the DFT signal affect its frequency spectrum?

The periodicity of the DFT signal means that its frequency spectrum will also be periodic. This means that the spectrum will repeat itself at regular intervals, with the first repetition occurring at the fundamental frequency of the signal. The spacing between these repetitions is determined by the sampling rate used for the DFT.

3. Can a non-periodic signal be represented using a DFT?

Yes, a non-periodic signal can be represented using a DFT, but the periodicity of the DFT may make it difficult to accurately represent the signal. This is because the DFT assumes that the signal is periodic, so any non-periodic components may be distorted or misrepresented in the frequency domain.

4. How does the length of the time-domain signal affect the periodicity of the DFT signal?

The length of the time-domain signal does not affect the periodicity of the DFT signal. The DFT of a time-domain signal will always be periodic regardless of its length. However, a longer time-domain signal will result in a more finely resolved frequency spectrum due to the increased number of samples used in the DFT calculation.

5. Are there any situations where the periodicity of the DFT signal can cause issues?

Yes, in some cases, the periodicity of the DFT signal can cause issues. For example, if the time-domain signal contains a discontinuity or abrupt change, the periodicity of the DFT can cause spectral leakage, where the frequency components of the signal "leak" into neighboring frequencies. This can distort the frequency spectrum and make it difficult to accurately analyze the signal.