Why is the Raman spectrum for iron oxide not showing a signal?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of a new Raman spectrometer to study the corrosion of metals. The user has successfully tested it on liquids and other solid samples, but is having trouble getting a signal from iron oxide. Other users suggest testing it on non-liquid samples with known Raman peaks, and the user confirms that they have tested graphite and amorphous carbon with success but not iron oxide.
amayas
RAMAN spectrum of iron oxide !

Dear every one!

I have just got a new raman spectrometer to study the corosion of metals.
i tested it on liquids (alcool, benzene, solvant ...) it works very well.
i did also experiments on coal and carbon, perfect !

but when i tested on iron oxide .. i got no signal at all!

please, does anyone know what may be wrong?

thanks a thousand

amayas

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if iron oxide is Raman active. If it isn't, it won't show the effect.

Have you tested it on non-liquid samples, for example something with well a known Raman peak like a piece of a silicon wafer or something?

Dr Transport said:
I am not sure if iron oxide is Raman active. If it isn't, it won't show the effect.

Hi every one !

thank you for your anwers, Yes, Iron oxide has well known features in Raman.
i am using Goethite , it has a strong feature at 390 cm-1.

... still trying ...

thansk again

JustinLevy said:
Have you tested it on non-liquid samples, for example something with well a known Raman peak like a piece of a silicon wafer or something?

Dear Levy Justin,

Yes, I have tested the graphite and amorphous carbon.

I git the correct signal (with some additional strong pics , ... that i getevery time i study solid samples!)

but no signal for my iron oxide

thanks again

amayas

Related to Why is the Raman spectrum for iron oxide not showing a signal?

What is a RAMAN spectrum?

A RAMAN spectrum is a type of spectroscopic technique used to study the vibrational modes of molecules. It involves shining a laser on a sample and measuring the scattered light to determine the frequencies of the molecular vibrations.

What is iron exyde?

Iron exyde, also known as iron oxide, is a chemical compound made up of iron and oxygen atoms. It is commonly found in nature as minerals such as hematite and magnetite, and is used in various industrial applications.

How is the RAMAN spectrum of iron exyde obtained?

The RAMAN spectrum of iron exyde is obtained by shining a laser on a sample of the substance and measuring the scattered light. The resulting spectrum shows peaks at different frequencies, which correspond to the vibrational modes of the iron exyde molecules.

What information can be obtained from the RAMAN spectrum of iron exyde?

The RAMAN spectrum of iron exyde can provide information about the molecular structure, chemical bonds, and symmetry of the substance. It can also be used to identify the different phases or forms of iron exyde present in a sample.

How is the RAMAN spectrum of iron exyde used in scientific research?

The RAMAN spectrum of iron exyde is used in various fields of scientific research such as materials science, chemistry, and geology. It can be used to characterize and analyze different types of iron exyde samples, as well as to study the effects of external factors such as temperature and pressure on its vibrational modes.