Why Is the Lower Bound of the Cauchy Product Greater Than w_{⌊n/2⌋}?

In summary, when considering two absolutely convergent series, their partial sums can be denoted as s_{n} and t_{n}. The product of these partial sums, denoted as w_{n}, can be compared to the Cauchy product of the individual terms, denoted as u_{n}. It is shown through Mertens' Theorem that w_{\lfloor n/2\rfloor} is less than or equal to u_{n}, and u_{n} is less than or equal to w_{n}. The proof for this step involves considering the partial sums of the difference between the two series and showing that it converges to 0.
Bleys
I don't understand a small part in the proof that two absolutely convergent series have absolutely convergent cauchy product.
Instead of writing the whole thing, I'll write the essentials and the step I'm having trouble with.

[tex]\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}a_{r}[/tex] and [tex]\sum_{r=1}^{\infty}b_{r}[/tex] are positive term series that are absolutely convergent. Denote their partial sums as [tex]s_{n} , t_{n}[/tex] respectively. Let [tex]w_{n}=s_{n}t_{n}[/tex] and [tex]u_{n}=\sum_{r=1}^{\n}c_{r}[/tex] where [tex]c_{n}[/tex] is the Cauchy product of [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex]b_{n}[/tex]

Then [tex]w_{\lfloor n/2\rfloor}\leq u_{n}\leq w_{n}[/tex]. This is the step I don't understand. I can see why it would be smaller than [tex]w_{n}[/tex], since it's a sum containing [tex]u_{n}[/tex], but I don't see why it would be greater than [tex]w_{\lfloor n/2\rfloor}[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Mertens' Theorem

Let's consider two absolute convergent series ##A,B##, although only the absolute convergence of ##A## is needed. Let's note the partial sums ##A_n=\sum_{k=0}^n a_k\, , \,B_n=\sum_{k=0}^n b_k##.
\begin{align*}
AB&=(A-A_n)B +\sum_{k=0}^n a_kB\\
S_n&=\sum_{k=0}^n c_k = \sum_{k=0}^n \sum_{j=0}^ka_jb_{k-j}=\sum_{k=0}^n a_kB_{n-k} \\
AB-S_n&= (A-A_n)B+\sum_{k=0}^n a_k(B-B_{n-k})
\end{align*}
The first term converges to ##0## and with ##N:=\lfloor \dfrac{n}{2} \rfloor## we can write the second term
$$
\sum_{k=0}^N (B-B_{n-k}) = \underbrace{\sum_{k=0}^n a_k(B-B_{n-k})}_{=P_n}+\underbrace{\sum_{k=N+1}^n a_k(B-B_{n-k})}_{=Q_n}
$$
For ##P_n## we have
$$
|P_n| \leq \sum_{k=0}^N|a_k|\cdot |B-B_{n-k}|\leq \max_{N\leq k \leq n}|B-B_k|\cdot \sum_{k=0}^N|a_k| \longrightarrow 0
$$
because ##A## converges absolutely and ##(B-B_k)_k## is a bounded sequence converging to ##0##, i.e. there is a constant ##c## such that ##|B-B_k|<c## for all ##k\in \mathbb{N}_0\,.## Therefore we get
$$
|Q_n|\leq \sum_{k=N+1}^n |a_k|\cdot |B-B_{n-k}| \leq c \sum_{k=N+1}^n |a_k| \longrightarrow 0
$$
by the Cauchy criterion. Hence ##AB-S_n \longrightarrow 0## or ##S_n \longrightarrow AB\,.##

Related to Why Is the Lower Bound of the Cauchy Product Greater Than w_{⌊n/2⌋}?

What is the Cauchy product of series?

The Cauchy product of series is a mathematical operation that takes two infinite series and produces a new series by multiplying each term of one series with each term of the other series and then adding the resulting products.

What are the conditions for the Cauchy product to converge?

The Cauchy product of series converges if at least one of the original series converges absolutely. It also converges if both series converge conditionally and the resulting series converges absolutely.

How is the Cauchy product different from the usual product of series?

The usual product of series multiplies each term of one series with each term of the other series, without adding them. The Cauchy product, on the other hand, adds the resulting products, making it a more complex operation.

What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy product of series?

The Cauchy product of series has various applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. For example, it can be used to calculate the product of two polynomials, which is useful in signal processing and control systems. It can also be applied in calculating probabilities in statistics.

Are there any limitations to using the Cauchy product of series?

One limitation of the Cauchy product is that it can only be used for series with non-negative terms. It also requires careful consideration of convergence conditions, as incorrect usage can lead to incorrect results. Additionally, the Cauchy product may not be applicable in some situations, such as when dealing with divergent series.