Why is the integration result not -xe^-x - e^-x?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cadbury
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the result of $$\int x e^{-x} \, dx$$ is -xe^-x + e^-x - e^-x. This can be obtained by using integration by parts with u = x and dv = e^-x.
Cadbury
View attachment 3778

So v' is the one to be integrated and v is the answer,
why is it not -xe^-x - e^-x ? :confused:

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    970 bytes · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Cadbury. What is the result of $$\int x e^{-x} \, dx?$$

Fantini said:
Hello Cadbury. What is the result of $$\int x e^{-x} \, dx?$$

Oh, I get it now haha, first I have to use integration by parts where u= x, dv= e^ -x then uv - integral(vdu) then after

-xe^-x +e^-x - e^-x = -xe^-x hehe

It's even easier if you write the first DE as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y' = \left( x - 1 \right) \, \mathrm{e}^{-x} \end{align*}$, you can still apply integration by parts and this time you don't have to do two separate integrals...

I am not able to provide specific mathematical equations without context or understanding of the variables involved. However, in general, the process of integration involves finding the antiderivative of a given function. In this case, it is important to understand the limits of integration and any other conditions that may affect the result. It is possible that the answer of -xe^-x - e^-x is incorrect due to incorrect limits or missing conditions. It is important to carefully review the steps and ensure that all calculations are accurate. If you are still unsure, seeking help from a math tutor or consulting a calculus textbook may be beneficial.

Related to Why is the integration result not -xe^-x - e^-x?

1. How do I integrate this data into my analysis?

The first step to integrating data into your analysis is to identify the format of the data and determine if it is compatible with your analysis tools. If it is not, you may need to use a data conversion or transformation tool. Once you have the data in a compatible format, you can import it into your analysis software and begin integrating it into your analysis process.

2. What are some common challenges when integrating data?

Some common challenges when integrating data include data incompatibility, missing or incorrect data, and data duplication. It is important to carefully review and clean the data before integration to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your analysis results.

3. How can I ensure the integrity of integrated data?

To ensure the integrity of integrated data, it is important to establish data governance policies and procedures. This includes data validation, data quality checks, and regular data audits. It is also important to have proper documentation and version control in place to track any changes to the integrated data.

4. Are there any tools or software that can help with data integration?

Yes, there are many tools and software available to help with data integration. Some popular options include ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) tools, data integration platforms, and data virtualization tools. It is important to research and choose a tool that best fits your specific data integration needs.

5. How do I handle sensitive or confidential data during integration?

Sensitive or confidential data should always be handled with caution and according to any regulations or policies in place. It is important to have proper security measures in place to protect the data during integration, such as encryption and access controls. It may also be necessary to have a data management plan in place to ensure the data is properly managed and disposed of after integration.