Why is the general solution of this form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the heat equation $u_t=u_{xx}$ with initial condition $u(x,0)=f(x)$. It is found that the solution can be written as $u(x,t)=X(x)T(t)$ and by solving for $X(x)$, a general solution is obtained as $u(x,t)= \int_0^{\infty} c(\lambda) e^{- \lambda t} e^{i \sqrt{\lambda} x} d \lambda$, where $c(\lambda)$ is an arbitrary function. This is because the solution can be written as a linear combination of solutions with different values of $\lambda$. By letting $i$ go to infinity and using Euler
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)I found the following in my lecture notes:$$u_t=u_{xx}, x \in \mathbb{R}, t>0 \\ u(x,0)=f(x)$$

$$u(x,t)=X(x)T(t)$$

$$\Rightarrow \frac{T'(t)}{T(t)}=\frac{X''(x)}{X(x)}=-\lambda \in \mathbb{R}$$

$$X''(x)+\lambda X(x)=0, x \in \mathbb{R}$$
$$X \text{ bounded }$$

The characteristic equation is $\rho^2+ \lambda=0 \Rightarrow \rho^2=-\lambda$

• $\lambda<0$: $X(x)=c_1e^{ \sqrt{- \lambda}x}+c_2 e^{- \sqrt{- \lambda}x} $

So that $X$ is bounded $\Rightarrow c_1=c_2=0$.
  • $\lambda=0$: $X(x)=c_1x+c_2 \overset{c_2=0}{\Rightarrow } X_0(x)=1$
  • $\lambda>0 \Rightarrow \rho^2= \lambda i^2 \Rightarrow \rho= \pm i \sqrt{\lambda}$

$\Rightarrow X(x)=c_1 \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}x)+ c_2 \sin (\sqrt{\lambda} x), x \in \mathbb{R}$

$T'(t)+ \lambda T(t)=0$

$\Rightarrow T(t)=c e^{- \lambda t}$

$$u_{\lambda}(x,t)=e^{- \lambda t} \cos(\sqrt{\lambda} x) \\ e^{- \lambda t} \sin(\sqrt{\lambda}x)$$

General solution:

$$u_1(x,t)= \int_0^{\infty} c_1(\lambda) e^{- \lambda t} \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}x)d \lambda$$

$$u_2(x,t)= \int_0^{\infty} c_2(\lambda) e^{- \lambda t} \sin(\sqrt{\lambda}x)d \lambda$$

$$u(x,t)= \int_0^{\infty} c(\lambda) e^{- \lambda t} e^{i \sqrt{\lambda} x} d \lambda$$

$$( c_1, c_2: [0,+\infty) \to \mathbb{R}, c:[0,+\infty) \to \mathbb{C}$$

Initial conditions:$$u(x,0)=f(x) \Leftrightarrow f(x)= \int_0^{\infty} c(\lambda) e^{i \sqrt{\lambda}x} d \lambda$$
    Could you explain me why in this case the general solution is of the form $u(x,t)= \int_0^{\infty} c(\lambda) e^{- \lambda t} e^{i \sqrt{\lambda} x} d \lambda$?

Why isn't it $u(x,t)= \frac{a_0}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (a_k \cos (kx)+ b_k \cos (kx))$ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! (Smile)

evinda said:
Why isn't it $u(x,t)= \frac{a_0}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (a_k \cos (kx)+ b_k \cos (kx))$ ?

I think you're only taking $X(x)$ into account, while the solution is $X(x)T(t)$. (Wasntme)Let's look at it like this. (Thinking)

We found that for any $\lambda > 0$:
$$u(x,t)=X(x)T(t) = (c_1 \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}x)+ c_2 \sin (\sqrt{\lambda} x)) c e^{- \lambda t}
=C e^{-\lambda t} \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}x) + D e^{- \lambda t} \sin (\sqrt{\lambda} x)$$
is a solution.

Any linear combination with different $\lambda$'s will also be a solution.
So a more general solution is:
$$u(x,t) = \sum_i \Big[C_i e^{-\lambda_i t} \cos(\sqrt{\lambda_i}x) + D_i e^{- \lambda_i t} \sin (\sqrt{\lambda_i} x)\Big]$$
where $\lambda_i$ is any positive number, and $C_i,D_i$ are any arbitrary constants.

Letting $i$ go to infinity, we can write this as:
$$u(x,t) = \int_0^\infty \Big[C(\lambda) e^{-\lambda t} \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}x) + D(\lambda) e^{- \lambda t} \sin (\sqrt{\lambda} x)\Big]d\lambda$$
(Mmm)

Next step is to apply Euler's formula. (Thinking)

Related to Why is the general solution of this form?

1. Why is the general solution of this form important in science?

The general solution of a particular form is important in science because it provides a framework for understanding and solving a wide range of problems. It allows scientists to apply a set of principles or equations to different scenarios and come up with a solution that can be applied universally.

2. What does it mean when the general solution is in a specific form?

When the general solution is in a specific form, it means that it follows a certain pattern or structure that is applicable to a specific type of problem. This form may include variables, constants, and mathematical operations that can be manipulated to find a solution to the problem.

3. How do scientists determine the general solution of a problem?

Scientists determine the general solution of a problem by applying their knowledge of mathematical principles, laws, and equations to the specific problem at hand. They may also use experimental data and observations to verify the accuracy of the solution.

4. Can the general solution of a problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the general solution of a problem can be applied to real-world situations. In fact, many scientific theories and laws are based on general solutions that have been proven to be effective in explaining and predicting real-world phenomena.

5. Is the general solution of a problem always unique?

No, the general solution of a problem is not always unique. In some cases, there may be multiple solutions or variations of the general solution that can be applied to different scenarios. This is why scientists must carefully consider the context and limitations of a problem before applying a general solution.