Why is the function not differentiable at (0,0)?

In summary, the function is not differentiable at (0,0) because the existence of partial derivatives at a point only proves differentiability in the x and y directions, but not in every other direction. To prove differentiability, the function must have a unique tangent plane at that point.
klopez

Homework Statement

Show that the function is not differentiable at (0,0).

f(x,y) = [ (xy)/(x2 + y2)(1/2) if (x,y) =/ (0,0)

[ 0 if (x,y) = (0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the partial derivatives at point (0,0) = 0, so I don't know why the function is not differentiable at (0,0). Is there a certain equation that will help me prove that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You titled this "partial differential homework" but it is important to understand that has very little to do with partial derivatives. "Differentiable" is NOT a matter of having partial derivatives.

I think it is really important that you look up the definition of "differentiable" for functions of two variables. In Calculus of one variable, we typically define the "derivative" as a limit and then say that a function is "differentiable" if and only if that limit exists. In Calculus of more than one variable, it is standard to define "differentiable" separately from just the partial derivatives.

I know several equivalent definitions of "differentiable" for two variables but I don't know which one your textbook is using: look it up please.

klopez said:
I know that the partial derivatives at point (0,0) = 0, so I don't know why the function is not differentiable at (0,0).

Hi klopez! :smile:

It's because existence of partial derivatives ∂f/∂x and ∂f/∂y only prove differentiablity in the x and y directions.

Hint: try some other direction. :wink:

Related to Why is the function not differentiable at (0,0)?

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by the symbol ∂ and is useful in analyzing how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a function.

2. How do I find a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you must first identify the variable you are differentiating with respect to and treat all other variables as constants. Then, you can use the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or product rule, to find the derivative. It is important to remember to use the ∂ symbol instead of d when taking a partial derivative.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable while holding all other variables constant. On the other hand, a total derivative takes into account the effect of changes in all variables on the overall behavior of a function. In other words, a total derivative is the sum of all partial derivatives with respect to each variable.

4. When is it necessary to use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are necessary when dealing with functions that depend on multiple variables. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum of a function with respect to certain variables. They are also used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of systems with multiple variables.

5. Can partial derivatives be applied to any function?

Yes, partial derivatives can be applied to any function that has multiple variables. However, some functions may be more difficult to differentiate using the standard rules, and may require more advanced techniques such as the chain rule or implicit differentiation. It is important to understand the properties of the function and the variables involved in order to correctly apply partial derivatives.