Why Is the Energy of a Satellite in Geostationary Orbit Negative?

In summary, a geostationary orbit is an orbit around the Earth where a satellite appears to remain stationary in the sky when viewed from a fixed location on Earth. The energy required for a geostationary orbit is significantly higher than other orbits due to the need to constantly counteract the Earth's gravitational pull. Factors such as the mass of the satellite, distance from the Earth, and angle of the orbit affect the energy required for a geostationary orbit. These orbits are important for communication and weather satellites as they provide continuous coverage and communication with ground stations. The energy of a geostationary orbit is measured in units of megajoules per kilogram (MJ/kg).
Johfb

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy of a 100kg satellite associated with a geostationary orbit around a planet.

Homework Equations

Kepler's 3rd Law:

[tex]T^{2} = \left( \frac{4 \pi^{2}}{GM_{p}} \right)r^{3}[/tex]

Velocity equation:

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{GM_{p}}{r}}[/tex]

Planet mass:

[tex]M_{p} = 5 \times 10^{20} kg[/tex]

Satellite mass:

[tex]m_{s} = 100 kg [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the mass of the planet (M_{p}) I rearranged Kepler's 3rd law to get the radius of the geostationary orbit, then used the velocity equation to calculate the velocity of the satellite in this geostationary orbit.

I thought that I should then calculate the energy of the satellite by using the equation:

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} - \frac{GM_{p}m_{s}}{r}[/tex]

However this gives the result of [itex]E < 0[/itex] ! :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's a rather simple question but I just can't figure it out at the moment.. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Johfb said:
However this gives the result of [itex]E < 0[/itex] ! :rolleyes:
And that bothers you why? :smile:

(All bound orbits have negative energy!)

I see.. :wink:

I thought that if E<0 then it was a closed elliptical orbit and that when E=E_{min} then it was a closed circular orbit.. so I was expecting to get E_{min} which would be small but positive. I'm a tad confused.

I couldn't see where my method or calculations were incorrect, so assumed it had to be right.. but I just don't really understand why the result of the energy is negative.. perhaps could you explain? :shy:

When:

E < 0 then: bound orbit (elliptical, circular, degenerate conic (straight line trajectory))
E = 0 then: unbound orbit (parabolic or straight line; escape velocity)
E > 0 then: unbound orbit (hyperbolic or straight line; V > 0 at infinity)

Also, if e is the eccentricity of the orbit, then:

E < 0 --> 0 < e < 1
E = 0 --> e = 1
E > 0 --> e > 1

Johfb said:
Given the mass of the planet (M_{p}) I rearranged Kepler's 3rd law to get the radius of the geostationary orbit, then used the velocity equation to calculate the velocity of the satellite in this geostationary orbit.

I'm curious to know how you determined the radius of the geostationary orbit without knowing the period of rotation of the planet.

Thanks for you explanation gneill :smile:

gneill said:
I'm curious to know how you determined the radius of the geostationary orbit without knowing the period of rotation of the planet.

The period of rotation of the planet is the same as the Earth i.e. T=86400s. So that's how I managed to do it :smile:

Johfb said:
I thought that if E<0 then it was a closed elliptical orbit
Right. But realize that a circle is just an ellipse with zero eccentricity.

but I just don't really understand why the result of the energy is negative..
See this general derivation of the mechanical energy of an orbiting body: http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Gravity/GravityME-Dervation.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Is the Energy of a Satellite in Geostationary Orbit Negative?

What is a geostationary orbit?

A geostationary orbit is a type of orbit around the Earth where a satellite's orbital period is equal to the Earth's rotation period. This means that the satellite appears to remain stationary in the sky when viewed from a fixed location on Earth. It is also known as a geosynchronous orbit.

How does the energy of a geostationary orbit compare to other orbits?

The energy required for a satellite to maintain a geostationary orbit is significantly higher than that of other orbits. This is because the satellite must constantly counteract the Earth's gravitational pull and maintain a specific distance from the Earth's center.

What factors affect the energy required for a geostationary orbit?

The energy required for a geostationary orbit is affected by several factors, including the mass of the satellite, the distance from the Earth, and the angle of the orbit. A higher mass or a closer distance to the Earth will require more energy, while a more direct angle (closer to 90 degrees) will require less energy.

Why is a geostationary orbit important?

Geostationary orbits are important for many communication and weather satellites. By remaining stationary above a specific location on Earth, these satellites can provide continuous coverage and communication with ground stations. This is especially useful for television broadcasting, weather monitoring, and global positioning systems.

How is the energy of a geostationary orbit measured?

The energy of a geostationary orbit is typically measured in units of megajoules per kilogram (MJ/kg). This unit represents the amount of energy required per kilogram of mass to maintain the orbit. The specific energy required for a geostationary orbit can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier.