Why is tan(Θ) equal to dy/dx for small angles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric functions, specifically tan(Θ), in analyzing forces on a string. The lecturer explains that for small angles, tan(Θ) can be approximated to sin(Θ)/cos(Θ), and then further approximated to just tan(Θ). This leads to the equation dy/dx = tan(Θ), which is the ratio of change in y to change in x. The conversation also explores the possibility of using tan(Θ) in solving for the Wave Equation, but ultimately concludes that the approach in the video, which deals with forces on the string, is more appropriate.
yosimba2000
I'm following this video:

The professor says that for small angles, tan(Θ) = dy/dx. I don't understand why this is so. Tan(Θ) is equal to sin(Θ) / cos(Θ), and if Θ is small, then cos(Θ) is about 1, which means dx = 1, not a infinitesimally small number.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yosimba2000 said:
I don't understand why this is so. Tan(Θ) is equal to sin(Θ) / cos(Θ), and if Θ is small, then cos(Θ) is about 1, which means dx = 1, not a infinitesimally small number.
That's not correct. Since ##\sin \theta \sim \theta##, then ##\tan \theta \sim \theta##, so you have that ##dy/dx \sim \theta##. It doesn't tell you anything about ##dx## by itself.

You have to go back to the definition of ##tan \theta## for a right triangle.

dy and dx refer to changes, here in the curve. To express them with cosine and sine, you have to introduce the size of the triangle, and then let that size go to zero.
The ratio of change of y divided by the ratio of change of x is dy/dx, and that is indeed the tangent of θ.

DrClaude said:
That's not correct. Since ##\sin \theta \sim \theta##, then ##\tan \theta \sim \theta##, so you have that ##dy/dx \sim \theta##. It doesn't tell you anything about ##dx## by itself.

You have to go back to the definition of ##tan \theta## for a right triangle.

The video starts with analyzing the forces in the Y direction, and comes out with -Tsin(theta) and + Tsin(theta + delta theta). So the sin, which is then approximated to tan, should give a ratio of forces. But the video says tan = dy/dx, meaning tan went from a ratio of forces to a ratio of distance. What?

yosimba2000 said:
The video starts with analyzing the forces in the Y direction, and comes out with -Tsin(theta) and + Tsin(theta + delta theta). So the sin, which is then approximated to tan, should give a ratio of forces. But the video says tan = dy/dx, meaning tan went from a ratio of forces to a ratio of distance. What?
What's wrong with that? A ratio is a ratio. A ratio of forces is a quantity without units. A ratio of distances is also a quantity without units. Is that what's bothering you?

The lecturer is playing fast and loose with his notation. He wrote ##\sin(\theta) \approx \frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}##, which is fine, since he stipulated that both ##\theta## and ##\Delta \theta## were small. He then wrote ##\frac{\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)} \approx \tan(\theta)##, saying these were approximately equal. In fact, these two quantities are exactly equal by definition of the tangent function.

Mark44 said:
What's wrong with that? A ratio is a ratio. A ratio of forces is a quantity without units. A ratio of distances is also a quantity without units. Is that what's bothering you?

Yes, that's it. Originally, theta was defined as the angle made by the force, and so I expected the sin(theta) function to be analyzed in terms of forces. As in, sin(theta) equals Y Tension divided by X Tension. But I was thrown off by how he made the correlation between DISTANCES. So I reconciled this by thinking that the tension is at the same angle as the string, so tan(theta) is equal to Y Tension / X tension as well as dy/dx.

So if dy / dx is also equal to Y Tension / X Tension, is it valid to solve for the Wave Equation in this way? So instead of depending on the position of the string, it would be in terms of forces on the string?

yosimba2000 said:
Yes, that's it. Originally, theta was defined as the angle made by the force, and so I expected the sin(theta) function to be analyzed in terms of forces. As in, sin(theta) equals Y Tension divided by X Tension.
But I was thrown off by how he made the correlation between DISTANCES. So I reconciled this by thinking that the tension is at the same angle as the string, so tan(theta) is equal to Y Tension / X tension as well as dy/dx.

So if dy / dx is also equal to Y Tension / X Tension, is it valid to solve for the Wave Equation in this way? So instead of depending on the position of the string, it would be in terms of forces on the string?
The work shown in the video deals exclusively with the forces on the string, not the position of either end. The only role that position plays is that the angles between the force and the horizontal is slightly different at each end.

What I mean is that if sin is substituted with dy/dx, eventually the Wave Equation comes out with d2y/dx2 = ma. What if instead, we said sin approximately equals tan, and tan = TensionY1/TensionX1 for the left end, and the right end is TensionY2/TensionX2. Then (TensionY2/TensionX2 - TensionY1/TensionX1)(deltaX/deltaX) = d/dx of (TensionY/TensionX)

yosimba2000 said:
What I mean is that if sin is substituted with dy/dx, eventually the Wave Equation comes out with d2y/dx2 = ma. What if instead, we said sin approximately equals tan
What do you mean "what if"? That's exactly what the lecturer said.
yosimba2000 said:
, and tan = TensionY1/TensionX1 for the left end, and the right end is TensionY2/TensionX2.
For one thing the angles are different at the two ends. Also, you need to clarify what your terms mean. In the video, the lecturer had T for the tension, which was the same at both ends. What do you mean by TensionX1 etc.?
yosimba2000 said:
Then (TensionY2/TensionX2 - TensionY1/TensionX1)(deltaX/deltaX) = d/dx of (TensionY/TensionX)

So sin(theta) is approximately tan(theta), and tan(theta) is Tension in Y direction / Tension in X1 direction. That's for the left side of the string.
Same with the right side, but the tensions in each directions will be different as the angle is now theta+delta theta

Related to Why is tan(Θ) equal to dy/dx for small angles?

1. What is the approximate value of tan(x)?

The approximate value of tan(x) can be determined using a Taylor series expansion or a numerical method such as the bisection method or Newton's method.

2. How accurate is the approximation of tan(x)?

The accuracy of the approximation of tan(x) depends on the method used and the number of terms or iterations used. Generally, the more terms or iterations used, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the most commonly used method for approximating tan(x)?

The most commonly used method for approximating tan(x) is the Taylor series expansion. This method is often used because it can be easily implemented and provides a good balance between accuracy and computational efficiency.

4. Can the approximation of tan(x) be used for all values of x?

No, the approximation of tan(x) is only valid for values of x that are within the convergence radius of the method used. Outside of this range, the approximation may become inaccurate or fail to converge.

5. Can the approximation of tan(x) be used for complex values of x?

Yes, the approximation of tan(x) can be extended to complex values of x using the appropriate complex Taylor series or numerical method. However, the accuracy of the approximation may be reduced when dealing with complex numbers.