Why is sin (x+x) = sinx cosx + cosx sinx ?

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the identity sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) is derived from the angle sum identities using Euler's formula or a geometry proof, and it holds true for all angles.
Natasha1
Why is sin (x+x) = sinx cosx + cosx sinx ? Simple explanation required please

Physics news on Phys.org
sin (x+y) = sin x cos y + cos x sin y. Simply place an "x" for the "y" in the formula. Noted: sin (2x) = 2sin x cos x.

I don't know if you are familiar with Euler's formula, but if you are then those trig formulas are easy to derive:
[tex]e^{ix}=\cos{x}+i*\sin{x}[/tex]
so
[tex]e^{i2x}=(\cos{x}+i*\sin{x})^2[/tex]
[tex]=\cos^2{x}+2i*\sin{x}*\cos{x}-\sin^2{x}[/tex]
Since
[tex]\sin{x}=Im:e^{ix}[/tex]
Then
[tex]\sin{2x}=2*\sin{x}\cos{x}[/tex]
You also get the double angle formula for cosine for free. If you do not know Euler's formula, then you can still prove this geometrically, but it will take more work.

rindech said:
sin (x+y) = sin x cos y + cos x sin y. Simply place an "x" for the "y" in the formula. Noted: sin (2x) = 2sin x cos x.
?
This is not correct.
What if I say that: sin(x + y) = sin(x)sin(y) + cos(x)cos(y) + sin(x)cos(y) + sin(y)cos(x) - 1.
It certainly satisfies: sin(2x) = sin(x + x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). But it's not true, right?
And moreover, it's some kind of circular argument. One should know the angle sum identities before they know the double identities.
There's a geometry proof at the end of this article. (it works for 0 <= x, y <= 90o). One can then show that the identity is true for every angle.

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
?
This is not correct.
What if I say that: sin(x + y) = sin(x)sin(y) + cos(x)cos(y) + sin(x)cos(y) + sin(y)cos(x) - 1.
It certainly satisfies: sin(2x) = sin(x + x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). But it's not true, right?

It's certainly true if x=y but not in general. But sin(2x) does equal 2sin(x)cos(x) because sin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)siny(y)

Related to Why is sin (x+x) = sinx cosx + cosx sinx ?

1. Why is sin (x+x) equal to sinx cosx + cosx sinx?

This is known as the sum angle formula for sine. It is derived from the trigonometric identity sin(A+B) = sinA cosB + cosA sinB. Since x+x can be rewritten as 2x, the formula becomes sin(2x) = sinx cosx + cosx sinx.

2. What is the significance of the sum angle formula for sine?

The sum angle formula allows us to simplify and solve more complex trigonometric equations involving sine. It is also useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy where trigonometry is applied.

3. Can the sum angle formula for sine be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are similar sum angle formulas for cosine (cos(A+B) = cosA cosB - sinA sinB) and tangent (tan(A+B) = (tanA + tanB) / (1 - tanA tanB)). These formulas are also derived from the basic trigonometric identities.

4. Are there any other identities related to the sum angle formula for sine?

Yes, there is also a double angle formula for sine (sin2x = 2sinx cosx) and a half angle formula for sine (sin(x/2) = ±√((1-cosx)/2)). These can be derived from the sum angle formula and are useful in solving trigonometric equations.

5. How can I use the sum angle formula for sine in real-world applications?

The sum angle formula for sine can be used in various real-world scenarios such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the forces acting on a structure, or analyzing the motion of a pendulum. It is a fundamental concept in trigonometry and has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.