Why is resistivity important in solving this problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses two metallic spheres with different masses, radii, and charges, placed at a distance D from each other and accelerating until they collide anelastically. The question is asked why the resistivity ρ is needed to solve the problem, and the answer is that currents may flow during the process. The suggested solution is to find the difference between the initial and final potential energies, but the resistivity may play a role in the final calculation.
LAph
In free space there are two masses:
- Metallic sphere of mass M, radius R and total charge equal to 0. It has also a resistivityρ.
- Metallic sphere of mass m, radius r and charge q.
The distance between the masses is D. We can assume r <<R<<D and m<<M. The masses start accelerating until they collide anelasticaly. Find the energy that has become heat.

My question is: Why do I need ρ to solve this problem?
My solution is basically finding the difference between the initial potential energy and the final, but i haven't used the resistivity.

Physics news on Phys.org
LAph said:
In free space there are two masses:
- Metallic sphere of mass M, radius R and total charge equal to 0. It has also a resistivityρ.
- Metallic sphere of mass m, radius r and charge q.
The distance between the masses is D. We can assume r <<R<<D and m<<M. The masses start accelerating until they collide anelasticaly. Find the energy that has become heat.

My question is: Why do I need ρ to solve this problem?
My solution is basically finding the difference between the initial potential energy and the final, but i haven't used the resistivity.
Welcome to the PF.

You probably need the resistivity of the first sphere because currents will likely flow as part of this process.

If you would like additional help with this schoolwork problem, please start a new thread in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum, and fill out the Template you are provided there. Thank you. :smile:

Related to Why is resistivity important in solving this problem?

What is the concept of two conductors in free space?

Two conductors in free space refer to two separate metallic objects that are not connected by any other conducting material, and are placed in a vacuum or air. The space between the conductors is considered to be free of any other materials.

How do two conductors in free space interact with each other?

The interaction between two conductors in free space is primarily through electrostatic forces. When a potential difference is applied to the conductors, one becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the two conductors which leads to the attraction or repulsion of the charges.

What factors affect the capacitance of two conductors in free space?

The capacitance of two conductors in free space is affected by the distance between the conductors, the size and shape of the conductors, and the dielectric constant of the material between the conductors. The capacitance increases with a decrease in distance between the conductors and with an increase in the size of the conductors.

What is the role of dielectric material in two conductors in free space?

The dielectric material between two conductors in free space helps to reduce the strength of the electric field between them. This results in an increase in the capacitance of the system. The dielectric material also helps to prevent any short-circuiting between the conductors.

What are some applications of two conductors in free space?

Two conductors in free space are commonly used in capacitors, which are essential components in electronic circuits. They are also used in high voltage power lines and transmission cables. The concept of two conductors in free space is also applied in the design of antennas for wireless communication.