Why is November 11th an important day in history?

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, while browsing Wikipedia, the conversation mentions the demonstration of integral calculus by Gottfried Leibniz for finding the area under the graph of a function y = f(x) using antiderivatives. It is also mentioned that it is Leibniz's 330th birthday and that it is also Remembrance Day. The conversation then continues with discussions about bagpipes and marches in honor of the Unknown Soldier. Finally, it is mentioned that 11 November is an important day for various reasons.
neutrino
Browsing the homepage of WikiPedia, I came across this piece of information...

1675: Gottfried Leibniz demonstrated integral calculus for the first time to find the area under the graph of a function y = f(x) by using antiderivatives.

Happy 330th B'day, Integration? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome! [tex]\int = cool[/tex]

Just skimming through Wikipedia? little light reading? perhaps started on the C'x?

Hurray for Leibniz and the Integrals!

[tex]\int \quad\int \quad\int \quad\int \quad\int \quad[/tex]

Gute arbeit, Leibniz! Darf Ihre Geburtstagparty mit Gott laufen seit dreihundert mehr Jahre.

Well yes, and it's Rememberance Day too.

We had an announcement about it at work over the Tannoy at 10.55, then again at 10.57, then again at 11am. It was almost like a countdown, followed by a very sombre anticlimax.

Well yes, and it's Rememberance Day too.

yeh there are bagpipes everwhere here, and marches to the monument of the Unknown solider...

Yay! Hooray for something I know nothing about!

[tex]\int \int \int \int \int \int [/tex]

Important day

More reasons why 11 Nov is an important day. :rolleyes: :approve:

Related to Why is November 11th an important day in history?

1. What is the significance of Nov 11?

Nov 11 is an important day for several reasons. It is recognized as Veterans Day in the United States, Remembrance Day in several Commonwealth countries, and Armistice Day in other countries. It marks the end of World War I and is a day to honor and remember those who have served and sacrificed in the armed forces.

2. Why is Nov 11 called Armistice Day?

Nov 11 is also known as Armistice Day because it commemorates the armistice, or agreement to cease fighting, that was signed between the Allied forces and Germany on Nov 11, 1918, effectively ending World War I.

3. How is Nov 11 celebrated?

Nov 11 is typically celebrated with ceremonies and events to honor and remember veterans and their sacrifices. This includes parades, wreath-laying ceremonies, and moments of silence. Some countries also observe a two-minute silence at 11am on Nov 11 as a sign of respect.

4. Is Nov 11 a national holiday?

In the United States, Nov 11 is recognized as a federal holiday, meaning government offices, schools, and most businesses are closed. However, this may vary in other countries that observe the day as well.

5. Are there any specific symbols associated with Nov 11?

Yes, there are several symbols associated with Nov 11, including the poppy flower, which is worn as a symbol of remembrance and to honor fallen soldiers. The red poppy became associated with Nov 11 after the poem "In Flanders Fields" was written during World War I. Other symbols include the purple poppy, which represents animals that have served in the military, and the forget-me-not flower, which is a symbol of remembrance and support for veterans and their families.