Why Is My Solution Different from the Textbook's for This Linear ODE?

In summary: This should also be multiplied by the integrating factor, giving you the correct answer of y = x^{-1}lnx + Cx^{-1} .In summary, when solving a linear differential equation, it is important to apply the integrating factor to both sides of the equation. This ensures that the solution is correct and matches the answer in the textbook.
verd
Hey,

So I solved this one linear DE and the answer I got isn't the same as the one in the back of my textbook... And I'm not sure why. I thought I was doing this right. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Here's what I'm given:

[tex]x^{2}y'+xy=1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{x}{x^{2}}y=\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{1}{x}y=\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]integrating-factor-p=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
[tex]integrating-factor\rightarrow e^{\int p(x) dx}=e^{\int \frac{1}{x}dx}= e^{lnx}=x[/tex]
[tex](xy)'=\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]xy=\int x^{-2}dx=\frac{-1}{x}+C[/tex]
[tex]y=\frac{-1}{x^{2}}+\frac{C}{x}[/tex]

That's what I get.

The answer in the textbook is:
[tex]y=x^{-1}lnx+Cx^{-1}[/tex]

Which is similar but not the same... What'd I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you get an integrating factor, multiply it through both sides to obtain

[tex] (xy)' = \frac{1}{x} [/tex]
Then, Integrate to obtain
[tex] \int d(xy) = \int \frac{1}{x} dx [/tex]
And this leads you to
[tex] y = \frac{ln(x)}{x} + Cx^{-1} [/tex]

The step where you made the error was after the integrating factor, you did not also apply it to the right side of the equation, the [tex] x^{-2} [/tex].

Related to Why Is My Solution Different from the Textbook's for This Linear ODE?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many physical phenomena, such as growth, decay, and motion.

2. What is a simple linear ODE?

A simple linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation that involves a linear relationship between the dependent variable, its derivatives, and the independent variable. It can be written in the form of y' + p(x)y = g(x), where p(x) and g(x) are functions of x.

3. How do you solve a simple linear ODE?

To solve a simple linear ODE, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and variation of parameters. These methods involve manipulating the equation to separate the variables and then integrating to find the solution.

4. What are the applications of simple linear ODEs?

Simple linear ODEs are commonly used in science and engineering to model various real-world phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to study dynamic systems.

5. What are the limitations of simple linear ODEs?

Simple linear ODEs have certain limitations, such as only being able to model systems with continuous and differentiable functions. They also cannot accurately model systems with non-linear relationships or those that involve discontinuous changes. Additionally, they may not always have analytical solutions and may require numerical methods for solving.